Car Runs Out of Gas on 9.0 Slope - What Happens Next?

In summary, the conversation is about a car running out of gas while going up a 9.0 slope at a speed of 25 m/s. The question is asked about how far the car will coast before rolling back down and how to find the rate at which gravity pulls the car down the slope. The solution involves using Newton's second law to find the acceleration and finding the total force acting on the car, which includes the component of gravity and friction along the slope.
grizzly44
A car traveling at 25 m/s runs out of gas while traveling up a 9.0 slope.
How far will it coast before it starts to roll back down?
How do you find the rate at witch gravity pulls the car down the slope? I don't understand how to find that

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi grizzly44! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The car will have a constant acceleration …

find that acceleration by using good ol' Newton's second law in the direction of the slope. :wink:

Ok so i know how to do that one one dimensional kinematics but how do i apply that to a slope?

A slope is one-dimensional. :wink:

The only difficulty is finding the F in F = ma …

it will be the total of the component along the slope of the gravity and the friction force.

Related to Car Runs Out of Gas on 9.0 Slope - What Happens Next?

1. What causes a car to run out of gas on a 9.0 slope?

A car runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope when there is not enough fuel in the gas tank to push the car forward against the force of gravity. This can happen when the car is on a steep incline and the fuel level is low, or when the gas tank is not filled up properly.

2. Will the car roll backwards or forwards when it runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope?

The direction of the car's movement when it runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope depends on the specific circumstances. If the car is in gear and the parking brake is not engaged, it will roll backwards due to the force of gravity. However, if the car is in neutral or the parking brake is engaged, it will not move.

3. What happens to the engine when a car runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope?

When a car runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope, the engine will continue to run until it uses up any remaining fuel in the fuel lines. Once the fuel is completely depleted, the engine will eventually stop running as it has no fuel to power it.

4. Can running out of gas on a 9.0 slope damage the car?

In most cases, running out of gas on a 9.0 slope will not cause any damage to the car. However, if the car is in gear and the engine is forced to work harder to try and move up the slope without fuel, it could potentially cause damage to the engine or transmission over time.

5. What should I do if my car runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope?

If your car runs out of gas on a 9.0 slope, the first thing to do is to safely pull over to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights. If possible, try to park on a flat surface to prevent the car from rolling. You can then call for roadside assistance or try to push the car to a nearby gas station.