Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables

In summary, Michel is looking for equations describing the CO2 phase diagrams and specifically, the thermodynamic function for liquid-gas equilibrium. They suggest using programs like EES or Refprop, which cite a reference for CO2 properties. They also mention finding a program called Propath based on the Span and Wagner formulas. They were able to solve their problem in Excel/VBA using this reference. They ask if the person uses Propath or another library for their programming and if they know of any source code available in Java or C#.
lalbatros
Hello,

In my old papers, I could find a nice P-T diagram for Carbon Dioxide.
I am interrested in liquid-gas equilibrium data, specially enthalpy and internal enery.
Unfortunately, the diagram doesn't fit very well my current purpose.
Moreover, I would like to make more use of my computer and less use of my nice diagram.

Would you know where I could find the equations describing the CO2 phase diagrams,
specially the thermodynamic function for liquid-gas equilibrium?
As you may guess, a source code would be even more attractive (if for free).

Thanks a lot for you suggestions,

Michel

Science news on Phys.org
I usually use programs like EES or Refprop, but EES does cite it's source for CO2 properties:

R. Span and W. Wagner, A New Equation of State for Carbon Dioxide Covering the Fluid Region from the Triple-Point Temperature to 1100 K at Pressures up to 800 MPa, J. Phys. Chem, Ref. Data, Vol. 25, No. 6, 1996.

Thanks a lot, Yeti08 !

I could find your reference on Nist.
In addition, by googling further I could find "Propath" there:

http://www.fkm.utm.my/~mohsin/sme1413/property.tables/propath/

It is based on the Span and Wagner formulas.
It took me less than an hour to solve my problem in Excel/VBA, thanks to your initial reference.

By the way, are you using Propath, or another library or your own programming?
The Propath source code is in good old Fortran, which is not my preferred language any more.
I would be interrested in source code in Java or in C#.
Fortran to Java is not really an easy translation.
Would you eventually know where such source code would be available?

Thanks again,

Michel

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables?

Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables provide a comprehensive set of data on the thermodynamic properties of carbon dioxide, such as temperature, pressure, density, and enthalpy. These tables are used by scientists and engineers to model and analyze the behavior of carbon dioxide in various systems.

2. How do Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables differ from other thermodynamic tables?

Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables are specific to carbon dioxide and contain data that is relevant to its unique properties. Other thermodynamic tables may cover a broader range of substances or only provide limited data on carbon dioxide.

3. What kind of information can be found in Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables?

Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables typically include data on the thermodynamic properties of carbon dioxide in different states, such as gas, liquid, and solid. This includes information on temperature, pressure, specific heat, enthalpy, and entropy.

4. How are Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables used in scientific research?

Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables are used in a variety of scientific research, such as studying the behavior of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere, analyzing the performance of carbon capture and storage technologies, and modeling the thermodynamic properties of carbon dioxide in industrial processes.

5. Are Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables accurate?

Carbon Dioxide Thermodynamic tables are considered to be highly accurate, as they are based on extensive experimental data and are regularly updated to reflect new research and advancements in technology. However, it is important to note that all thermodynamic tables have limitations and may not capture all aspects of a system's behavior.