Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carbon Nano Tubes- Ballistic Conductors

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

Hey guys, i'm researching single walled carbon nanotubes and im trying to find out how much approx. Resistance there is in a pile of ~50nm long metallic SWCNT's piled on top of each other to form a line (think laying gunpowder for a fuse...). I'm perplexed because SWCNT's at the proper size are ballistic conductors (no resistance). This poses an interesting situation because I would suspect traveling from one CNT to another identical one via the point where they touch would create resistance because of the reduced surface area.

So the question is: does a series of metallic SWCNT's overlapping each other to form a line create resistance opposed to a single CNT that is a ballistic conductor which is also the same length of the line (which is generally impossible with todays manufacturing methods given a reasonable distance of a few millimeters).

Regards,
    -Tay

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

taylaron

Gold Member

Perhaps someone could direct me to a research project that might know?

Thanks for trying!

-Tay

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook