Carbon Nano Tubes- Ballistic Conductors

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of single walled carbon nanotubes and the resistance they may have when stacked on top of each other to form a line. The speaker is perplexed because at the proper size, these nanotubes are ballistic conductors with no resistance. The question being posed is whether a series of these overlapping metallic SWCNT's would create resistance, compared to a single CNT that is the same length as the line. The speaker is also wondering if there is any research project that may have information on this topic.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hey guys, I'm researching single walled carbon nanotubes and I am trying to find out how much approx. Resistance there is in a pile of ~50nm long metallic SWCNT's piled on top of each other to form a line (think laying gunpowder for a fuse...). I'm perplexed because SWCNT's at the proper size are ballistic conductors (no resistance). This poses an interesting situation because I would suspect traveling from one CNT to another identical one via the point where they touch would create resistance because of the reduced surface area.

So the question is: does a series of metallic SWCNT's overlapping each other to form a line create resistance opposed to a single CNT that is a ballistic conductor which is also the same length of the line (which is generally impossible with todays manufacturing methods given a reasonable distance of a few millimeters).

Regards,
-Tay

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps someone could direct me to a research project that might know?

Thanks for trying!

-Tay

Hello Tay,

Thank you for sharing your research and question about carbon nanotubes. I find this topic very interesting and I would be happy to provide some insights.

Firstly, let's briefly discuss the properties of carbon nanotubes. As you mentioned, single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNTs) are known to be highly conductive, with very low resistance. This is due to their unique structure, which allows for the efficient flow of electrons.

Now, to answer your question about resistance in a pile of overlapping SWCNTs, it is important to consider the factors that contribute to resistance. In general, resistance is affected by the material's length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. In the case of SWCNTs, their length is very small (50nm), and their cross-sectional area is also small, making them ideal for conducting electricity with minimal resistance.

However, when multiple SWCNTs are piled on top of each other to form a line, the points of contact between them may create some resistance. This is because the points of contact may not be perfectly aligned, resulting in a disruption of the electron flow. Additionally, as you mentioned, the reduced surface area at the point of contact may also contribute to resistance.

To answer your question, a series of overlapping SWCNTs may indeed create some resistance compared to a single SWCNT. However, the amount of resistance would likely be minimal due to the small size and high conductivity of the SWCNTs. Additionally, as you mentioned, it is currently difficult to manufacture SWCNTs at lengths of a few millimeters, so it may not be practical to compare a single SWCNT to a line of overlapping SWCNTs in real-life scenarios.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep up the good work in your research on carbon nanotubes!

Best regards,

1. What are carbon nanotubes?

Carbon nanotubes are cylindrical molecules made up of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. They have a diameter on the nanometer scale and can be several micrometers long.

2. How are carbon nanotubes used as ballistic conductors?

Carbon nanotubes have excellent electrical and thermal conductivity, making them ideal for use as ballistic conductors. They are often incorporated into various electronic devices, such as transistors and sensors, to improve their performance.

3. What makes carbon nanotubes ideal for ballistic conductors?

Carbon nanotubes have a high aspect ratio, meaning they are relatively long and narrow. This allows for efficient electron transport, making them excellent conductors. Additionally, they have a high tensile strength and can withstand high temperatures, making them durable and stable conductors.

4. How are carbon nanotubes produced?

Carbon nanotubes can be produced through various methods, such as chemical vapor deposition, arc discharge, and laser ablation. These methods involve heating carbon-containing materials to high temperatures in the presence of a catalyst, which promotes the formation of nanotubes.

5. What are the potential applications of carbon nanotubes as ballistic conductors?

Carbon nanotubes have a wide range of potential applications as ballistic conductors. They can be used in electronics, energy storage devices, and even in biomedical applications. Some potential uses include high-performance batteries, more efficient solar cells, and targeted drug delivery systems.