1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardinality vs. Dimension, Solution of homogeneous equations

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the number of distinct solutions of a system of linear equations (in any number of equations, and unknowns) over the field Zp is either 0, or a power of p.

3. The attempt at a solution

First off, I was wondering whether there is any difference between "cardinality" of a vector space and "dimension". Aren't both just the size of the basis? (the cardinality of V = dim(V)??)
    This is just because my prof keeps switching between both and confusing the rest of us.

for the question, suppose the system is m equations in n unknowns.
    The case of 0 is trivial, so if we take the subset W of Zpn of solutions over Zp, W is a vector space, and dim(W) = n.
    I'm not sure how to put this technically, but for each unknown more than the number of equations (say we parametrize them) we have p possible choices, and thus pt solutions.

There's something missing, but am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The cardinality of V isn't equal to the dimension of V. Easy counterexample: an n-dimensional vector space over Z/pZ has p^n elements (which is essentially what you've noticed with your W). What is true is that the cardinality of a basis for V is equal to the dimension of V (and this is the definition of dimension).

Anyway, you've basically solved the problem, although you've said some questionable things. You've noticed W is a finite-dimensional vector space over Z/pZ, which is correct. If the dimension of W is t (it's not necessarily n), then you can choose a basis w_1,...,w_t for W. Any element of W will thus look like a_1w_1+...+a_tw_t with a_i in Z/pZ. Now count these suckers.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Oh ok thank you. So what is cardinality then (talking about a vector space)?

So then the dimension is pt! It makes sense to say dim(W) = t, but I don't understand why it isn't n:
    The system is in n unknowns, and as you said, you can form a basis {w1, w2,...,wt}. But in the standard basis, you would have {e1,...,en}, thus dim(W) = n since all bases of W have the same cardinality. Why not n?

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cardinality of a vector space is just its cardinality as a set.
    Try solving
    x_1 + x_2 = 0
    x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 0
    in Z/2Z, for example. Is dimW=3?

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    Thank you, makes perfect sense.
    Oh alright. Essentially saying dimW = t is just saying it is finite dimensional.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook