Career planning [Suggestions please]

• Engineering
  • Thread starter kdrdgn07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the speaker is studying mechanical engineering and is interested in aircraft and space engineering. They want to be like their idol, Elon Musk, and are seeking advice on which areas they should improve in, such as quantum mechanics or rockets. They are also studying economics and investing and feel they need a mentor. However, it is important to remember that success also involves being in the right place at the right time. The speaker is advised to be more specific with their goals and to develop leadership skills and stand out to their professors.
kdrdgn07
Hi guys. I'm studying Mechanical engineering and I'm at Foreign language preparation class. I've a purpose. I've a goal. I want to change the future. I'm studying everytime. I'm interesting with aircraft and space engineering. Actually, I want to be like Elon Musk(my idol). Which areas are i must improve?Quantum mechanics? Rockets? I'm studying aerodynamic. I am studying economy and investing. And I guess I need a mentor. Yea I know it was too long but thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
While it's great to look up to people like Elon Musk, it's important to remember that in addition to natural intelligence and hard work there was also a strong element of being in the right place at the right time that resulted in his and others' extreme success.

You have to be more specific with your goals before anyone can really help you. If you don't have anything specific yet, just continue to explore.

Likes Ben Espen, JakeBrodskyPE and kdrdgn07
Choppy said:
While it's great to look up to people like Elon Musk, it's important to remember that in addition to natural intelligence and hard work there was also a strong element of being in the right place at the right time that resulted in his and others' extreme success.

You have to be more specific with your goals before anyone can really help you. If you don't have anything specific yet, just continue to explore.

Agreed. Remember, I don't believe Elon Musk got rich from his physics degree. The market needed something like PayPal and he happened to be in a position to provide that.

Likes kdrdgn07
Develop leadership among your peers and stand out to your professors (in a positive manner).

Students with good grades are abound everywhere. Special people aren't.

Likes kdrdgn07
Thank you for valuable suggestions

What is career planning?

Career planning is the process of setting and achieving professional goals, while considering personal interests, skills, and values. It involves creating a roadmap for your career growth and development.

Why is career planning important?

Career planning is important because it helps you to identify and pursue opportunities that align with your interests and values. It also allows you to set clear goals and take actionable steps to achieve them, leading to a more fulfilling and successful career.

When should someone start career planning?

It is never too early or too late to start career planning. Ideally, it is best to start at a young age to have more time to explore different options and make informed decisions. However, career planning can also be beneficial at any stage of your professional life.

What are some key steps in career planning?

Some key steps in career planning include self-assessment to identify your skills, interests, and values, researching different career options, setting short and long-term goals, creating a plan of action, and continuously reassessing and adjusting your plan as needed.

How can I make the most of my career planning?

To make the most of your career planning, it is important to be open-minded and willing to explore different opportunities. It is also crucial to regularly reflect on your progress and make adjustments as needed. Additionally, seeking guidance from mentors or career counselors can also be beneficial in the planning process.