Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career recommending quiz, took it and it got me fairly accurately

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    I've taken career quizzes and usually been disappointed. This one, however, got me really nicely and it correctly got my father as a mathematician/computer programmer.

http://shobia.com/career-finder

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, rainbow - that's an interesting site!

Mine:

I think it's accurate.

4. May 1, 2014 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mine:
    That's pretty accurate :) better than the test I took in elementary school that told me I should work as a caregiver.

5. May 1, 2014 #4
    I wanted to be an albatross...
    :-\

6. May 1, 2014 #5
    Completely inaccurate.
    My dream of becoming a professional televsion viewer has been shattered.

7. May 1, 2014 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I got "thinking helper" which turned out to be fairly reasonable. If I were at the stage in my life where I was investigating careers, I think the suggestions listed would have been helpful and of interest.

8. May 1, 2014 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

I chose "Dislike" for all of the questions and yet it says:

That's nice:biggrin:

9. May 1, 2014 #8
    I think this result was obvious by the choices I made.
    I love science, but I definitely couldn't be a scientist.

10. May 1, 2014 #9

adjacent

Gold Member

social animal?
    :rofl:
    Is that not offensive?

11. May 1, 2014 #10

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Well, I just took the quiz and it was pretty accurate for me (if you consider statistician as a subset of mathematician):)

12. May 2, 2014 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I got
    Those are two fields I have no interest in. Not too interested in the others either, except biologist. I would prefer horticulture, archaeology, astronomy, geology.

13. May 2, 2014 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Choosing "dislike" for everything makes one suitable to be a programmer or a mathematician?

That sounds about right. ;)

Hmmmm. It suggested a career in panhandling for me.

You know, I could do that. You see I have this recipe for cookies and I could get lots of money from pedestrians by giving them the recipe and the story behind it. I thought of using this as a panhanlding gimmick while my grandson and I were bakin' Bacon bacon cookies.

You see, the recipe (for bacon cookies) originally came from Kevin Bacon's aunt. While Kevin Bacon and John Belushi were working on the film, "Animal House", Bacon's aunt passed the recipe on to Belushi's girlfriend.

And, as you surely know, John Belushi later worked with Ray Charles in the film, "Blues Brothers". Charles developed a crush on Belushi's girlfriend and she thought he was cute - and made him bacon cookies and even gave him a copy of the recipe.

And then, years later, Ray Charles was driving his SUV through the streets of Detroit and ran over a young engineer so smart that certainly on his way to riches and fame. Unfortunately, the poor engineer was crippled in the accident, found at fault for jaywalking, had to pay for repairs to Ray's SUV, and had no medical insurance, to boot. His inability to pay his medical bills destroyed his credit rating, making it impossible to find a job (as if being crippled wasn't handicap enough). Ray couldn't admit responsibility or help pay the medical bills (on the advice of his lawyer), but he did feel sorry for the poor, crippled engineer and brought him cookies. Bacon cookies, in fact! And even gave him the recipe.

Now the poor, crippled engineer is a homeless person in Colorado Springs that tells people he meets on the street that the only thing he regrets about life is that, being homeless, he can't make these fabulous bacon cookies from the recipe. And the one thing he really wishes somebody would do for him is to take this recipe, make a batch, and bring him one so he can finally re-taste these fabulous cookies. Oh, and five dollars would be nice, too, if you can spare it.

And (WOW!), incredibly enough, the person getting the recipe would six degrees removed from the source of the recipe!

14. May 2, 2014 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I took the opposite approach. I "liked" everything. My results:
    That's nice:biggrin:

15. May 4, 2014 #14

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Just for fun, I decided to answer all questions with "maybe" and here are the results:

That's kind of neat! :tongue:

16. May 4, 2014 #15
    Practical thinker it says I am. I'll just copy-paste lisab's block. It was along those lines. (RAM memory got nearly full and the page simply crashed.)

17. May 4, 2014 #16
    Your results show you are problem solving thinker
    This means you like work where your main focus is on dealing with problems that you need to think about and find solutions for.
    You might enjoy being a computer programmer or a mathematician.

I basically said I hated everything.

18. May 10, 2014 #17
    The questions are pretty bad IMO.

19. May 20, 2014 #18
    haha. Spot on.

"problem solver. This means you like work where your main focus is on dealing with problems that you need to think about and find solutions for.
    You might enjoy being a computer programmer or a mathematician."

That is absolutely accurate. Close seconds for jobs were 'Physicist' and 'Bioinformatics Scientist'. An enjoyable quiz :approve:

20. May 20, 2014 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

:surprised:rofl:

21. May 20, 2014 #20
    hehe. I don't think it's too inaccurate that a mathematician is recommended for both like everything and dislike everything. Gotta be a bit random/crazy to become one in the 1st place :tongue:

Hmm.. That's actually spot on when I come to think about it. I've always been interested in business. As a matter of fact, I've been considering if I want to become an engineer or peruse a career in business after my MSc in technology (engineering physics).

But then again, these questions were really focused on a business setting. What about a military career, academics (including physics), spiritual and so on? Hardly a serious test.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook