Carnot efficiency: is heat always positive?

In summary, when applying the efficiency equation e=1-Q_{C}/Q_{H}, it is important to note that Qh is positive and Qc is negative, as heat flow is measured relative to the engine. This is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, where the heat flow into the gas minus the heat flow out of the gas equals the work done by the gas. Therefore, efficiency is a measure of the rate of work done to heat energy supplied, and is calculated by the ratio of work done to heat energy supplied.
danrochester
This is a very quick question but in the equation

[tex]e=1-Q_{C}/Q_{H}[/tex]

do we treat both Q's as positive even though heat goes in in one case and out in the other? Or is there some detail I'm missing that would otherwise make the result less than 1.

Science news on Phys.org
The answer is yes. The minus sign takes into account the difference you stated above.

danrochester said:
This is a very quick question but in the equation

[tex]e=1-Q_{C}/Q_{H}[/tex]

do we treat both Q's as positive even though heat goes in in one case and out in the other? Or is there some detail I'm missing that would otherwise make the result less than 1.
Giordanus is correct. Heat flow is measured relative to the engine (gas): Qh is into the gas - positive - and Qc is out of the gas - negative. The equation derives from the first law:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + W[/tex]

After one complete cycle, there is no change in internal energy of the gas so:

[tex]\Delta Q = W[/tex]

This means that the heat flow into the gas minus the heat flow out of the gas equals the work done by the gas:

[tex]\Delta Q = Q_h - Q_c = W[/tex]

Since efficiency is Output/Input

[tex]\eta = W/Q_h = (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = 1 - \frac{Q_c}{Q_h}[/tex]

AM

Thanks Andrew, I get the overall idea that you want to measure the ratio of heat lost to heat gained. I was running into confusion because, as you stated QH is positive and QC is negative. If I used this convention then the efficiency equation would give a value greater than 1...

So would it not be more accurate to say that QH is the heat put into the system, and QC is the heat expelled by the system, and so both quantities are treated as positive?

danrochester said:
Thanks Andrew, I get the overall idea that you want to measure the ratio of heat lost to heat gained.
Efficiency is not a measure of heat lost to heat gained. It is a measure of the rate of work done to heat energy supplied. The heat lost is the heat delivered to the cold reservoir. So efficiency is a measure of the rate at which the heat is NOT lost to the cold reservoir to the heat supplied.

So would it not be more accurate to say that QH is the heat put into the system, and QC is the heat expelled by the system, and so both quantities are treated as positive?
Qc and Qh refer to the magnitude of the heat flows to/from the reservoirs to the engine. If that is all you are saying, you are correct.

AM

Last edited:
giordanus and mason are both right, since w=qh-qc, the efficiency(e)=Weng/Qh,

e=1-(Qh/Qc)

1. What is Carnot efficiency?

Carnot efficiency is a measure of the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two temperatures. It was first introduced by physicist Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in 1824.

2. How is Carnot efficiency calculated?

Carnot efficiency is calculated by dividing the difference between the hot and cold reservoir temperatures by the hot reservoir temperature. The formula is: Carnot efficiency = (Th - Tc) / Th, where Th is the hot reservoir temperature and Tc is the cold reservoir temperature.

3. Is Carnot efficiency always positive?

Yes, Carnot efficiency is always positive as it is a ratio of temperatures and temperature is always positive. It represents the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine.

4. What is the significance of Carnot efficiency?

Carnot efficiency is significant because it represents the upper limit of efficiency for any heat engine. It is used as a benchmark to compare the performance of real-life heat engines and to identify areas for improvement.

5. Can Carnot efficiency be greater than 100%?

No, Carnot efficiency cannot be greater than 100% as it represents the maximum possible efficiency. It is a theoretical limit and cannot be surpassed in reality due to the second law of thermodynamics.