1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot engine rejected heat problem

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    From the hot reservoir at a temperature of T1, Carnot Engine A takes an input heat of 5550J, delivers 1750J of work and rejects heat to a cold reservoir that has a temperature of 503K. This cold reservoir also serves as the hot reservoir for a second Carnot Engine, B, which uses the rejected heat from the first engine as input heat. Engine B also delivers 1750J of work, while rejecting heat to an even colder reservoir that has a temperature T2. Find T1 and T2.

2. Relevant equations
    e=1-Tc/Th
    e=W/Qh

3. The attempt at a solution

I plugged in my values into the e=1-Tc/Th and e=W/Qh equations to solve for the Th, or T1. As an answer, I got 734.3K. However, I'm missing a variable for my second Carnot engine. What is the input heat for engine B? I tried doing 734.3-503K, but that gives me answers in K and makes the equation not work. I don't know what I'm supposed to use for the input heat.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

It's the same as the output heat from engine A:
    Engine A has 5550 J of input heat. Of that 5550 J energy, 1750 J is used to do work. The remaining energy has to go somewhere (conservation of energy) ...

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    so what does this mean? what do i do with the conservation of energy?

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Equate the input energy with the total output energy.
    Qin = W + Qout
    If you need more help with the problem, you will have to show how far you have gotten and the work you have done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook