1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carry over factor in beam calculation -- confusion

1. Apr 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have several question regrading with this post .
    1.) For BC and CB , we could see that it's far end pinned / roller supported , so , shouldnt be the K = (3/4)(EI / L ) ?
    2.) I dont understand how the carry over factor works (in the second picture)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.) I think the K for BC and CB are wrong , it should be K = (3/4)(EI / L ) ,, because at BA, we could see that K = (3/4)(EI / L ) ...

2.) I dont understand for the carry over factor for BA is 0 ... We can see that for AB , BC and also CD , the carry over factor is 0.5 , so shoulnt the carry over factor for BA is 0.5 also ?

Attached Files:

• 614.png
      614.png
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
    • 615.png
      615.png
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #2
    I'm going to guess that you are not getting much response here, at least in part, to the use of the term "carry over factor." This is a strange term to me, and I've been doing things like this for a very long time. Can you re-word you question to convey your meaning more clearly?

4. Apr 11, 2017 #3
    it's in the structural analysis syllabus ....It's carry over factor ,

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    The perhaps you can ask the person who drew up the syllabus what it means.

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted