Identify the type of support at each location along the beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the carried over factor in photo 670 and the type of support at points A, B, C, D, and E. It is noted that the support at points A and E is fixed, but the type of support at points B, C, and D is unclear. There is confusion about the use of different carried forward factors, 0 and 0.5, at these points, and it is suggested that the author may have made a mistake. There is a request for clarification from other users.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

I have problem with the carried over factor in photo 670 . It's not stated the type of support at point A , B , C , D and E . But , at joint at A and E , it's fixed support because the author use distribution factor of 1 at A and E ( in photo 669)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

But , i am not sure what type of support at B , C , D are . For the green arrow , we can see that the author use carried forward factor of 0 , but for the 2 red arrows , we can see that the author used carried forwards factor of 0.5 . I 'm confused now . What type of supports at B , C , D are ? I think the author made the mistakes here . He can't use different carried forward factor , which are 0 and 0.5 at the support B , C and D .

Attachments

• 663.PNG
    663.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 469
  • 664.PNG
    664.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 665.PNG
    665.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 409
  • 670.PNG
    670.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 671.PNG
    671.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 423
  • 666.PNG
    666.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 667.PNG
    667.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 668.PNG
    668.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi a, anyone can reply ?

I think the author made the mistakes here . He can't use different carried forward factor , which are 0 and 0.5 at the support B , C and D .

1. What is the purpose of identifying the type of support at each location along the beam?

The purpose of identifying the type of support at each location along the beam is to determine the level of support that the beam will receive at various points, which can affect its structural integrity and load-bearing capacity.

2. What are the different types of support that can be found along a beam?

The different types of support that can be found along a beam include fixed support, roller support, and pin support. Fixed support prevents both vertical and horizontal movement of the beam, roller support allows for vertical movement but not horizontal, and pin support allows for both vertical and horizontal movement.

3. How can I determine the type of support at a specific location along the beam?

The type of support at a specific location along the beam can be determined by examining the level of movement and rotation allowed at that point. Fixed supports will have no movement or rotation, roller supports will have vertical movement but no rotation, and pin supports will have both vertical and horizontal movement and rotation.

4. What factors influence the type of support at each location along the beam?

The type of support at each location along the beam is influenced by factors such as the load and forces acting on the beam, the span of the beam, and the type of material used for the beam.

5. Why is it important to correctly identify the type of support at each location along the beam?

It is important to correctly identify the type of support at each location along the beam in order to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the beam. Using the wrong type of support can lead to structural failure and potential hazards.