Carry over factor in beam calculation -- confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about a structural analysis syllabus and the use of a term called "carry over factor." The conversation also references the calculation of a constant (K) for BC and CB and the confusion over its value. The solution offered is to clarify the meaning of the term "carry over factor" with the person who created the syllabus. This method is commonly known as the moment distribution method.
fonseh

Homework Statement

I have several question regrading with this post .
1.) For BC and CB , we could see that it's far end pinned / roller supported , so , shouldn't be the K = (3/4)(EI / L ) ?
2.) I don't understand how the carry over factor works (in the second picture)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I think the K for BC and CB are wrong , it should be K = (3/4)(EI / L ) ,, because at BA, we could see that K = (3/4)(EI / L ) ... [/B]
2.) I don't understand for the carry over factor for BA is 0 ... We can see that for AB , BC and also CD , the carry over factor is 0.5 , so shoulnt the carry over factor for BA is 0.5 also ?

Attachments

• 614.png
    614.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 791
  • 615.png
    615.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 597
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to guess that you are not getting much response here, at least in part, to the use of the term "carry over factor." This is a strange term to me, and I've been doing things like this for a very long time. Can you re-word you question to convey your meaning more clearly?

Dr.D said:
I'm going to guess that you are not getting much response here, at least in part, to the use of the term "carry over factor." This is a strange term to me, and I've been doing things like this for a very long time. Can you re-word you question to convey your meaning more clearly?
it's in the structural analysis syllabus ...It's carry over factor ,

The perhaps you can ask the person who drew up the syllabus what it means.

What is a carry over factor in beam calculation?

A carry over factor in beam calculation is a multiplier that is used to adjust the deflection or moment values of a beam element in a structural analysis. It takes into account the effect of neighboring elements on the overall behavior of the beam.

Why is there confusion surrounding carry over factor in beam calculation?

The concept of carry over factor can be confusing because it is not a physical property of the beam itself, but rather a mathematical adjustment factor. Additionally, different structural analysis software may use different methods for calculating the carry over factor, leading to further confusion.

How is the carry over factor calculated?

The exact calculation method for the carry over factor varies depending on the type of structural analysis being performed. Generally, it takes into account the stiffness and geometry of neighboring elements as well as the boundary conditions of the beam.

What effect does the carry over factor have on beam calculations?

The carry over factor has a significant impact on the final deflection and moment values of a beam. Without taking into account the effects of neighboring elements, the calculated values may be inaccurate and lead to structural instability.

Is the carry over factor always necessary for beam calculations?

In some simple beam systems, the effects of neighboring elements may be negligible and the carry over factor may not be necessary. However, for more complex structural systems, it is recommended to include the carry over factor for more accurate results.