Cart, Incline, Pulley, and a messed up Acceleration.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Some_Thing
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
The question and my work can be seen in the image below:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/550/scan0001fgu.jpg

The problem is that I am getting around 1 for acceleration, while the answer is 0.77.

What am I doing wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:
Upload the image here [URL]http://imageshack.us and paste the forum code so that we can see it and try to help you.

Oops, I was using a url from hotmail. It showed up fine for me, but I guess that was because I was logged in at the time.

Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The angle remains 26 and not 64. So Fgx = mass x gravity x sin theta where theta is 26 degrees.
 
math_04 said:
The angle remains 26 and not 64. So Fgx = mass x gravity x sin theta where theta is 26 degrees.

Fgx = mass x gravity x sin 26

Fgx = 3.6 x 9.8 x sin 26

Fgx = 15.465

This rounds off to 15.5 N, which is what I got.


NOTE: cos 64 = sin 26
 
You have got another force in the rope m2a.
Your equation should look something like this:

m2g+m2a+m1a=m1gsin26

a=(m1gsin26-m2g)/(m1+m2)
a=0.7728