1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian 3D Vector Plotting Points?

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plot the following point:
    B(-2,3,5)

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I were to plot (-2,3,5), when I make my first movement of -2, it does not move anywhere on the y axis correct and when I am moving on my Y axis, There is no movement in the z axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2
    In Cartesian coordinates (-2,3,5) is the same thing as saying "-2 in the x-direction, 3 in the y-direction, and 5 in the z-direction". As movement in the x,y,z-directions don't affect the other directions, so yeah...although note that if you're moving on the y-axis, you're not only not moving on the z-axis, but you're also not moving on the x-axis.

So it's "move -2 on the x-axis, move 3 on the y-axis, move 5 on the z-axis".

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    Ok thank you, can you give me some help on this:

What is the axis or plane these points would lie:

(-3,0,0) (4,-2,0) and (0,3,-5)

5. Mar 1, 2013 #4
    If you're unsure about how to plot a point in 3D space, I'm not too sure how I'm going to explain to you how to find the equation of a plane from three points.

Open your calc 3 book and get to reading.

The way I would do it is find a normal vector for the plane by taking a cross product of two vectors defined by those points and then dotting that normal vector with a vector in the plane and setting it to zero...

You need to go and learn the material. The answer is 10x + 35y + 27z + 30 = 0, if you need to check yourself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted