1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plot 3D graph of electric potential of a charged particle

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plot the electric potential ##V(r)## due to a positively charged particle located at the origin of an XY plane.

2. Relevant equations
    ##V=\frac 1 {4πε_0} \frac q r##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm unfamiliar with 3D coordinates at this time, but I like to know how can I plot it using a computer program like Matlab or online tools like WolframAlpha or Mathpix. I'm looking for the formula that I can plug into a software to see the 3D plot, plus an explanation for how to derive that formula. In the attachment, you can see the plot from my textbook (Fundamentals of Physics), but I don't why it's written ##V(r)## where no axes are named ##r##.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't have access to Matlab or Mathematica (I use Maple instead), but a simple Google search on the keywords '3d plots in matlab turns up several articles on the topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted