Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian product of cartesian products

1. May 15, 2008 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

So if we have sets A X B where A is (a_n, b_m) and C X D where C is (c_o, d_p), the cartesian product of the sets is (A X B) X (C X D) [(a_n, b_m, c_o, d_p)]. Is this correct? And thus, do parenthesis matter at all in Cartesian products? What about order? Is (a_n, b_m) equivalent to (b_m, a_n)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2
    I believe these are in fact ordered pairs. So order does matter.

If we use the definition that an ordered pair [itex](x,y) = \{\{x\}, \{x,y\}\}[/itex] then clearly [itex](y,x) = \{\{y\}, \{x,y\}\} \neq (x,y)[/itex]

As for the first thing say [itex]A[/itex] contains elements of the form [itex](x,y)[/itex] then [itex]A\times B = \{ ((x,y), b) | (x,y) \in A, b \in B \}[/itex]

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. May 17, 2008 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The cartesian product is a symmetric monoidal operation (both on sets, and on elements) -- that means it has an identity, is associative, and is commutative... but only up to a natural isomorphism.

An identity set is any set with a single element. I'll call such a set '1'.
    For all sets A, B, C, we have:
    An isomorphism 1xA --> A ('left identity')
    An isomorphism A --> Ax1 ('right identity')
    An isomorphism (AxB)xC --> Ax(BxC) (the 'associator')
    An isomorphism AxB --> BxA (the 'braiding')

For example, the associator is the function:
    [itex]\alpha((a, b), c) = (a, (b, c))[/itex]

None of these isomorphisms need be equalities. In fact, for the usual set-theoretic model of the ordered pair, none of these will be equalities. (I think the only exception is when the empty set is involved)

If we have a function A --> B, then we have functions
    AxC --> BxC
    CxA --> CxB

And each of these natural isomorphisms 'commute' with applying a function. i.e. the two compositions

AxC --> BxC --> CxB
    and
    AxC --> CxA --> CxB

both yield the same function AxC --> CxB.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  5. May 17, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Order is important but the "parentheses" don't- the Cartesian product is "associative" but not "commutative".

6. May 17, 2008 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know. Using the standard (a, b) := {{a}, {a, b}}, [itex](a, (b, c))\neq((a, b), c)[/itex]. There is a natural bijection between them, but then again there's a natural bijection between (a, b) and (b, a) too -- so why do you say that they associate but not commute?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?