Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cast iron specific heat in function of the temp

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I need the relationship between cast iron specific heat and temperature in order to perform a disc brake thermal analysis. Where could I get this data? I just need average values for a typical cast iron used for disc brakes.
    Any suggestion is appreciated

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2
    Scroll down to the part that says specific heat. Apparently, ductile iron is a type of cast iron. I've never liked the term cast iron very much, as it's a little confusing just what one means when they use the term. As I remember from materials science, cast iron has a high carbon content, higher than what steel generally contains.

Anyway, this link seems to be refering to cast iron as a high carbon alloy.

Or copy and paste link if you desire: http://www.ductile.org/didata/Section3/3part2.htm

Note: since it gives a range, I would find the average of the range and assume that as the temperature. For instance, 20-200 C would assume 110 C. 20-300 C would assume 160 C.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    Hi jlefevre76,

thanks for your reply, you provide me what I need.

cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook