Catching a glass falling to the ground

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a glass will fall in 0.25 seconds and the necessary acceleration and speed of a hand to catch the glass at a height of 6 inches from the floor. The solution involves using the equation S_{y} = ut + \frac{at^2}{2} and considering the reaction time of 0.25 seconds. However, there was confusion with the units, as the value of gravity in the USA system is measured in ft/sec^2 instead of m/sec^2.
AirForceOne

Homework Statement

A person trips against a table, causing a glass to fall off the edge. An excellent human reaction time is 0.25 seconds. In that time, how far wil the glass fall? Assume that immediately (after 0.25 s has elapsed) begin to acclerate your hand so that you grab the glass when it is 6 in from the floor. What constant acceleration was necessary, and how fast was your hand traveling when you contacted the glass? Assume your hand moved in a straight line.
96DN6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the position vector of the hand to be:
81ZwS.jpg

I get the position vector of the glass to be:
VZQmD.jpg

I need to find the time it takes for the glass to fall to y=0.5:
Ybggo.jpg

So the hand only has 0.46 seconds to reach the glass. However, when I plug this into the position vector of the hand to find a_x and a_y and find the magnitude of the acceleration, I get like twenty-something ft/s^2 which is far below the correct answer of 241 ft/s^2. What am I doing wrong?!
UtBcm.jpg

Please help asap!

Physics news on Phys.org
Good afternoon, Mr. President.

Your equations, sir, with all due respect, made me think I was looking at Wiki.

Keep it simple. Find the time it takes for the glass to be 6 inches from the floor, using distance = 1/2gt^2. Then that time less the reaction time is the time that your hand has to reach the glass, traveling a diagonal distance as found from Pythagorus' theorem.

Warmest regards,
Jay

I agree, keep it simple.

1) How far will the glass fall in 0.25 seconds?

You know the value of gravity (9.81 m/s^2), and you know the time (0.25 seconds). Use the equation:

S[itex]_{y}[/itex] = ut + [itex]\frac{at^2}{2}[/itex]

The second part has already been answered.

PhanthomJay said:
Good afternoon, Mr. President.

Your equations, sir, with all due respect, made me think I was looking at Wiki.

Keep it simple. Find the time it takes for the glass to be 6 inches from the floor, using distance = 1/2gt^2. Then that time less the reaction time is the time that your hand has to reach the glass, traveling a diagonal distance as found from Pythagorus' theorem.

Warmest regards,
Jay

But that's what I did...
y=(1/2)gt^2
t=sqrt(2y/g)
=sqrt((2)(2.5)/9.8)
= 0.71

0.71-0.25 = .46...

Diagonal distance=2.5,
y=(1/2)at^2
a=(2y)/(t^2)
=(2*2.5)/(0.46^2)
= 23.63ft/s^2...which is what I got before.

Oh, sure, that's a lot better than all those i's and j's.. But in the USA system, g is not established in units of m/sec^2, but rather, in units of ft/sec^2.

9.8m/sec^2 = appx. 32.2 ft.sec^2.:frown:

1. How does a glass fall to the ground?

When a glass is dropped, it falls due to the force of gravity acting on it. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, causing them to accelerate towards the ground.

2. What factors affect how a glass falls to the ground?

The three main factors that affect how a glass falls to the ground are the height from which it is dropped, the shape and weight of the glass, and any external forces such as air resistance or wind.

3. How can we catch a glass falling to the ground?

In order to catch a glass falling to the ground, you need to react quickly. As soon as you see the glass starting to fall, you need to move your hand to the predicted path of the glass and close your hand around it before it hits the ground.

4. What are some techniques for catching a falling glass?

One technique for catching a falling glass is to use the "pinch" method, where you place your thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the glass and pinch it between them. Another technique is to use the "cupping" method, where you form a cup with your hand and catch the glass in the palm of your hand.

5. Is it possible to catch a falling glass every time?

No, it is not possible to catch a falling glass every time. Factors such as reaction time, hand-eye coordination, and the speed and trajectory of the falling glass can affect the success of catching it. However, with practice and the right techniques, you can increase your chances of successfully catching a falling glass.