"Catching Up" before graduate school

In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations for study resources before starting graduate school at Cornell. They have taken relevant courses and are looking for specific textbooks used at Cornell or generic study resources. They may also be taking qualifying exams in their second year and are concerned about catching up with their peers. Suggestions are made for textbooks to use, such as Sakurai for QM and Kittel for stat mech. The individual is also advised to spend time studying and reviewing notes and textbooks before starting graduate school.
Sam I Am
Can anyone recommend good study resources before entering graduate school? I'm going from an "unknown" state school to Cornell, and I'm worried about being underprepared for courses. I have taken two semesters of E&M and Quantum (Griffiths), one semester of mechanics (Fowles & Cassiday) plus self-studying Lagrangians and Hamiltonians for the pGRE, and had no textbook for thermo so I'll be starting from scratch there.

I am unable to find the textbooks used for the courses specific to Cornell, so if anyone has any ideas there that would be fantastic, otherwise just generic study resources (preferably cheap, since I'll be buying books for the fall also). I'll also be studying Hassani's "math methods" book for the fall since I can get it for free.

Also, if anyone has generic tips for success in my endeavors, please pass them on!

Cheers,
Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Do want to get a jump start on your Fall courses? If so, what classes will you be taking?

Or are you more concerned about passing your qualifying exams? What exams will you be taking?

DrSteve said:
Do want to get a jump start on your Fall courses? If so, what classes will you be taking?

Or are you more concerned about passing your qualifying exams? What exams will you be taking?

I won't be taking the qualifying exams until my second year (I think), though I guess incoming students get a free crack at it in the fall of their first year. I'm more worried about fall courses, though not so much a "jump start" as "catching up to everyone else".

I don't know specifically what courses I'll be taking, but I'm sure thermodynamics/stat mech, E&M (which I'm not so worried about), and quantum will be in there.

Sam I Am said:
I won't be taking the qualifying exams until my second year (I think), though I guess incoming students get a free crack at it in the fall of their first year. I'm more worried about fall courses, though not so much a "jump start" as "catching up to everyone else".

I don't know specifically what courses I'll be taking, but I'm sure thermodynamics/stat mech, E&M (which I'm not so worried about), and quantum will be in there.

Then

Stat Mech - Kittel
E&M - Jackson
QM - Cohen and Tannoujdi or Suzuki

I would recommend Pathria, Kardar, and Huang for stat mech. If I remember correctly, Kittel is actually an undergrad book.

I would highly recommend Sakurai for QM. That is one of my favorite physics books. It does assume a pretty high level background,but is a great book. The second chapter is especially elegant.

I think there is a pretty high probability Cornell might use Sakurai and Pathria, they are pretty standard.

Excellent, I will see if I can find a cheap used copy of those.

Thanks!

You're being really smart, Sam I Am. The summer before graduate school I spent my evenings (I had a summer job) going over class notes, reading different textbooks, and re-doing tests and homework assignments from key undergraduate courses. It was IMMENSELY helpful when I started graduate school which, for me, was a step-change in difficulty compared to undergrad.

In particular, I read all the textbooks my undergrad library had in my particular specialty. I found that taking the time to learn the slightly different pedagogical approaches and the different perspectives they gave in each of the books was incredibly helpful in building up my own intuition. It was a serious time investment (and I kept my partying to a minimum) but it paid off handsomely.

Cornell follows Sakurai/Gottfried and Yan for QM and Stat Mech tends to be all over the place so I'd say go with Pathria to be safe.

Likes Sam I Am

Related to "Catching Up" before graduate school

1. What does "catching up" before graduate school mean?

"Catching up" before graduate school refers to taking additional courses or completing certain prerequisites in order to ensure that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in your graduate program. This may be necessary if you have a gap in your education or if your undergraduate degree was in a different field.

2. Do I need to catch up before starting graduate school?

It depends on your individual circumstances and the requirements of your graduate program. Some programs may have specific prerequisites that you need to fulfill before starting, while others may not. It is important to check with your program and assess your own knowledge and skills to determine if catching up is necessary.

3. How can I catch up before starting graduate school?

There are a few ways to catch up before starting graduate school. You can take additional courses at a community college or university, enroll in online courses, or self-study using textbooks or online resources. It is important to focus on the specific areas that you need to improve in and make a plan to ensure that you are adequately prepared.

4. Will catching up affect my graduate school application?

Catching up before graduate school may actually strengthen your application. It shows that you are dedicated to your education and willing to put in the extra effort to succeed in your chosen field. However, it is important to note that your overall application will be evaluated, so catching up alone may not guarantee admission.

5. Is it too late to catch up if I have already been accepted into a graduate program?

It is never too late to catch up before starting graduate school. However, it is important to communicate with your program and advisors to determine the best course of action. They may be able to offer advice on specific courses or resources to help you catch up before starting your program.