Cathode Ray Tube with magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a CRT, a solenoid, and a magnetic field. The goal is to find the potential difference required to accelerate electrons in the CRT. The relevant equations include E=Energy, m=mass, v=velocity, q=charge, V=potential difference, d=distance, and a=acceleration. The suggested approach is to solve symbolically and use the formula v(final)2=v(initial)2 + 2ad to find the final velocity, which can then be used in the formula V=E/q to find the potential difference. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of reversing the current of the solenoid and its effect on the magnetic force and deflection of the
bob dobilina

Homework Statement

A solenoid is placed beneath a CRT that produces a magnetic field of 1.10 x -2. The CRT is 1 meter away from a screen.
The electrons that make up the beam were accelerated from rest through a potential difference(V) at the beginning of the CRT. Acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field is 9.08 x 1014 m/s2.
What is the potential difference required to accelerate the electrons.

See image for diagram http://imgur.com/OLIRC3j2. Relevant equation
E=Energy
m=mass
v=velocity
q=charge
V=potential difference
d=distance
a=acceleration

V=E/q
E=(1/2)mv2
v(final)2=v(initial)2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that I can solve for v(final) because I have all the variables. I can then use v(final) in the E=(1/2)mv2 formula to solve for E. Once I have E, i should be able to plug it into V=E/q.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
bob dobilina said:

Homework Statement

A solenoid is placed beneath a CRT that produces a magnetic field of 1.10 x -2. The CRT is 1 meter away from a screen.
The electrons that make up the beam were accelerated from rest through a potential difference(V) at the beginning of the CRT. Acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field is 9.08 x 1014 m/s2.
What is the potential difference required to accelerate the electrons.

See image for diagram http://imgur.com/OLIRC3j2. Relevant equation
E=Energy
m=mass
v=velocity
q=charge
V=potential difference
d=distance
a=acceleration

V=E/q
E=(1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that I can solve for v(final) because I have all the variables. I can then use v(final) in the E=(1/2)mv2 formula to solve for E. Once I have E, i should be able to plug it into V=E/q.

Any help would be appreciated
Yes, that sounds like a plan, though you did not explain how you will find the velocity.
My advice is to solve it entirely symbolically, not plugging in any numbers until you have a final formula. You may find there's some cancellation.

haruspex said:
Yes, that sounds like a plan, though you did not explain how you will find the velocity.
My advice is to solve it entirely symbolically, not plugging in any numbers until you have a final formula. You may find there's some cancellation.

Initial velocity is 0 because it is at rest, so final velocity will be equal to whatever "2ad" turns out to be.
So E will look something like this
E = (1/2)m(2ad)2
Therefore, potential difference should be
V=E/q
V=((1/2)m(2ad)2)/q

I am unsure if it is okay if I use final velocity in my final equation, or if i should use average velocity?

bob dobilina said:
I don't think so. Where are you getting a and d from for this?

haruspex said:
I don't think so. Where are you getting a and d from for this?
a and d are given to us in the question. This formula is one of the kinematics formula provided to me.
V final 2 = Velocity initial 2 + 2ad

bob dobilina said:
a and d are given to us in the question. This formula is one of the kinematics formula provided to me.
V final 2 = Velocity initial 2 + 2ad
Be specific. What are you using for a and d, out of the supplied information?

haruspex said:
Be specific. What are you using for a and d, out of the supplied information?

For d I am using the distance of the screen from the CRT, which is 1 meter.
For a, I am using the acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field, which is 9.08 x 1014 m/s^2

bob dobilina said:
For d I am using the distance of the screen from the CRT, which is 1 meter.
For a, I am using the acceleration of the electrons in the magnetic field, which is 9.08 x 1014 m/s^2
In the equation v2=2ad, the acceleration must be acting along the distance d. Where is the magnetic field act in relation to the 1m, and in what direction?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
In the equation v2=2ad, the acceleration must be acting along the distance d. Where is the magnetic field act in relation to the 1m, and in what direction?
The magnetic field is acting in a clockwise direction, which is why it pushes the electron the right side of the screen.

Hmmm, I know that E=Vq, therefore Vq=(1/2)mv2 so i need to find v.

Since the problem tells me the acceleration in the magnetic field, would I be able to use Force=massxacceleration to find the magnetic force?
Then with the magnetic force, use this formula:
Magnetic Force =qvB
(B=Magnetic Field)
,to solve for v?

bob dobilina said:
The magnetic field is acting in a clockwise direction, which is why it pushes the electron the right side of the screen.

Hmmm, I know that E=Vq, therefore Vq=(1/2)mv2 so i need to find v.

Since the problem tells me the acceleration in the magnetic field, would I be able to use Force=massxacceleration to find the magnetic force?
Then with the magnetic force, use this formula:
Magnetic Force =qvB
(B=Magnetic Field)
,to solve for v?
Yes, that's how you need to find v here.

Ok, thank you.

Hi haruspex. Second part of the question here. Would appreciate any advice on this one. The only thing I can come up with is reversing the current of solenoid, but not sure how to prove this with the formulas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-31-13-25-59.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-31-13-25-59.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 445
bob dobilina said:
Hi haruspex. Second part of the question here. Would appreciate any advice on this one. The only thing I can come up with is reversing the current of solenoid, but not sure how to prove this with the formulas.
Since haruspex may still be in bed (Australia), can I suggest (1) what effect is there on the mag. force when B is reversed, and (2) does the magnitude of the deflection depend on the magnitude of B?

rude man said:
Since haruspex may still be in bed (Australia), can I suggest (1) what effect is there on the mag. force when B is reversed, and (2) does the magnitude of the deflection depend on the magnitude of B?
Thanks rude man, I should be able to figure it out from here...

What is a Cathode Ray Tube with magnetic field?

A Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) with magnetic field is a type of cathode ray tube that uses magnetic fields to control and manipulate the electron beam. It is commonly used in older televisions and computer monitors.

How does a Cathode Ray Tube with magnetic field work?

In a CRT with magnetic field, the electron beam is generated by heating a cathode, which causes the emission of electrons. These electrons are then focused and accelerated by an electric field. The magnetic field is then used to steer the electrons, creating the image on the screen.

What are the advantages of using a Cathode Ray Tube with magnetic field?

One advantage of a CRT with magnetic field is that it can produce a very bright and clear image. It also has a fast response time, making it suitable for applications that require quick image changes.

What are the disadvantages of using a Cathode Ray Tube with magnetic field?

One major disadvantage of a CRT with magnetic field is its size and weight. It also consumes a lot of power and can emit harmful radiation. Additionally, it has a limited viewing angle and can suffer from screen burn-in.

Are Cathode Ray Tubes with magnetic field still used today?

No, CRTs with magnetic field have been largely replaced by newer display technologies such as LCD and LED screens. However, they are still used in some specialized applications, such as oscilloscopes and radar systems.