Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Cauchy Repeated Integration Explanation?

1. Mar 11, 2016 #1

TheDemx27

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The easiest way to understand this is to look at the case with only two nested integrals.

$$f^{(-2)}(x)=\int_a^x\int_a^{\sigma_1}f(\sigma_2)d\sigma_2d\sigma_1$$

Now draw the square bordered by (a,a),(a,x),(x,x),(x,a) in the number plane and shade the region in which the integral is being performed, where we map ##\sigma_1## to the horizontal axis and ##\sigma_2## to the vertical axis.
    [You may find it easier to visualise this if you set ##a=0,x=1##, and then generalise it later]

The outer integration is along the horizontal axis.
    The inner integration is in the vertical direction and, for a given value of ##\sigma_1##, it integrates along the vertical line from ##(\sigma_1,a)## to ##(\sigma_1,\sigma_1)##.

The integration region is the triangle with vertices (a,a), (a,x), (x,x). The triangle is bounded by the horizontal and vertical axes and the 45 degree line with equation ##\sigma_2=\sigma_1##.

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start with f(x1) = ∫0x1f'(x2)dx2.
    Now replace f'(x2) with its own integral of f''(x3):
    f(x1) = ∫0x1[∫0x2f''(x3)dx3]dx2.
    The part within square brackets, [], is that substitution.
    You can keep doing this as many times as you wish.

5. Mar 12, 2016 #4

TheDemx27

Gold Member

Thankyou both. One last thing, could someone explain the change of the integral's limits in the third step of the proof by induction? I get that choosing the lower limit as t and the upper limit as x will give you the desired result, but I don't see why you are allowed to do that.
    (edit: figured it out on my own)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted