1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celestial mechanics with symplectic integrators

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is that I just don't understand how the algorithm described here in section 2 hangs together... I have to present this on Thursday morning and that sensation of 'I'll never understand this soon enough' is growing ominously.

2. Relevant equations

Equations 2,6,7 and 8 are a mystery to me. I could write them out here but they're already in the paper and without their context it wouldn't help much I think.

Why is there a sum from 1 to n in equation 2? What is n? It doesn't say...

And, how is q(t) = exp(tau * F) * q(t-tau) a general solution to dq/dt = Fq ?

Shouldn't it be q(t) = q(tau) * exp(Fq) ?

How does one knows in which order to apply the exponential operators in equation 6?

Where does equation 7 fit in with anything introduced previously?

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at a solution is asking for help here... I've googled but my questions are far too specific for that to help. =(

Please please help!

Masklin

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2
    Equ. 2 is an application of the chain rule and then Equ. 1. n is the number of the degrees of freedom.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    Degrees of freedom - what does that mean in this context? The dimensionality of x and p, or the number of bodies? Or something else?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4
    The dimension of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted