Cell membrane lipid peroxidaton

In summary, a forum user named Feng is wondering if lipid peroxidation affects the stiffness of cell membranes and if there are any guidelines or judgments on this issue. They are also looking for any relevant papers or books. One paper suggests that oxidative stiffening of erythrocyte membranes may be related to the oxidation of membrane proteins in sickle cell disease patients, but it is not clear if lipid oxidation plays a role in stiffness.
fxue
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and would like to take this chance to say hello to everyone here.

Basically, my question is about the mechanical translation of cell membrane lipid peroxidation. I am wondering if lipid peroxidation has any impact on the stiffness of cell membrane. If so, is there any guideline or judgement of it?

If anybody has read about anything related, please let me know or send me the paper or book.

Thanks in advance,
Feng

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's a paper re oxidative stiffening of erythrocyte membranes. The authors believe that the stiffening is related to the oxidation of membrane proteins in patients with sickle cell disease. While oxidation of the lipid structure of cell membranes by free radicals is progressive and destructive, I'm not aware that it involves stiffening due to oxidation of lipid components.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/short/76/5/1015

Last edited by a moderator:

What is cell membrane lipid peroxidation?

Cell membrane lipid peroxidation is a process in which reactive oxygen species (ROS) cause damage to the lipids in the cell membrane. This can lead to structural and functional changes in the membrane, ultimately affecting the cell's ability to function properly.

What causes cell membrane lipid peroxidation?

Cell membrane lipid peroxidation can be caused by a variety of factors, including exposure to environmental toxins, UV radiation, and certain diseases. It can also be a result of normal metabolic processes in the body that produce ROS as byproducts.

What are the effects of cell membrane lipid peroxidation?

The effects of cell membrane lipid peroxidation can vary depending on the extent of damage and the location of the affected cells. In general, it can lead to increased membrane permeability, altered membrane fluidity, and disruption of signaling pathways. This can ultimately result in cellular dysfunction and even cell death.

How can cell membrane lipid peroxidation be prevented?

The body has natural defense mechanisms against lipid peroxidation, such as antioxidants and enzymes that neutralize ROS. Additionally, a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and avoiding exposure to toxins can help prevent lipid peroxidation. In some cases, antioxidant supplements may also be beneficial.

How is cell membrane lipid peroxidation studied?

Cell membrane lipid peroxidation can be studied using various biochemical and biophysical techniques. These may include measuring levels of ROS and lipid peroxides, assessing changes in membrane structure and function, and evaluating the effects of antioxidants or other treatments on preventing or reversing lipid peroxidation.