Center of Mas of a planar Lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center of mass of a planar lamina in the form of a triangle, with a given density, and the use of double integrals to calculate the moment of inertia and the coordinates of the center of mass. The correct formulas for Mx and My are the double integrals of ky and kx, respectively, and the notation for the center of mass is \overline{x} and \overline{y}.
hagobarcos

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of a planar lamina, in the form of a triangle with vertices (0,0),(0,a),(a,a),
if ρ=k

Homework Equations

m = ∫∫f dA

xbar = My/m

ybar = Mx/m

The Attempt at a Solution

mass = ka²/2

Mx = ∫∫yk dy dx

My = ∫∫xk dy dx

**Side Question, how do we use math type or some other type of symbolic language on physics forums? ***

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Below is my photo:

Attachments

• IMG_6591.jpg
    IMG_6591.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
You can use LaTeX to type maths.
i.e. $$M_x = \iint ky\;dy\;dx$$

Did you have a question?

If the density is a constant, the "center of mass" is the "centroid", the geometric center of the figure. And for a triangle that is particularly simple to find. If you really want to use the double integral, x goes from 0 to a and, for each x, y goes from 0 to x:

[tex]m= \int_0^a\int_0^x k dydx[/tex]
[tex]M_x= \int_0^a\int_0^x kx dydx[/tex]
[tex]M_y= \int_0^a\int_0^x ky dydx[/tex]

Aw sweet, turns out I had the wrong variable in my Mx & My formulas, kept getting the thing wrong:)And for symbols, my screen just shows "quick symbols", none of the fancy LaTex y'all are using ^^

Okay actually I do have a question, in my book the formula for Mx is double integral of ky dA

And for My is double integral kx dA Which is correct?

What do you mean "which" is correct? [itex]M_x[/itex] is the moment of inertia about the x-axis and is [itex]\int\int ky dA[/itex]. The y coordinate of the center of mass is [itex]\overline{y}= M_x/m= \int\int ky dA/m[/itex] and the x coordinate of the center of mass is [itex]\overline{x}= M_y/m= \int\int kx dA/m[/itex].

Personally, I find the "[itex]M_x[/itex]", "[itex]M_y[/itex]" notation "non-intuitive" and prefer the [itex]\overline{x}= \int\int kx dA[/itex], [itex]\overline{y}= \int\int ky dA[/itex] notation.

oh! Yes :D Excellent, thank you for clearing that up.

1. What is the center of mass of a planar lamina?

The center of mass of a planar lamina is the point at which the entire mass of the lamina is concentrated. It is the average position of all the individual particles that make up the lamina.

2. How is the center of mass of a planar lamina calculated?

The center of mass of a planar lamina can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the individual particles. This can be done by dividing the sum of the products of the mass and the x and y coordinates by the total mass of the lamina.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the motion and stability of objects. The motion of an object is affected by the position of its center of mass, and the stability of an object depends on the location of its center of mass.

4. How does the shape of a lamina affect its center of mass?

The shape of a lamina can affect its center of mass, as it determines the distribution of mass within the lamina. A lamina with a more spread out mass distribution will have a different center of mass than one with a more concentrated mass distribution.

5. Can the center of mass of a planar lamina be outside of the lamina?

No, the center of mass of a planar lamina will always be located within the boundaries of the lamina. This is because the center of mass is calculated based on the position of all the individual particles within the lamina, and therefore cannot be located outside of it.