1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mas of a planar Lamina

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the center of mass of a planar lamina, in the form of a triangle with vertices (0,0),(0,a),(a,a),
    if ρ=k

2. Relevant equations

m = ∫∫f dA

xbar = My/m

ybar = Mx/m

3. The attempt at a solution

mass = ka²/2

Mx = ∫∫yk dy dx

My = ∫∫xk dy dx

**Side Question, how do we use math type or some other type of symbolic language on physics forums? ***

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Below is my photo:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can use LaTeX to type maths.
    i.e. $$M_x = \iint ky\;dy\;dx$$

Did you have a question?

4. Jul 25, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the density is a constant, the "center of mass" is the "centroid", the geometric center of the figure. And for a triangle that is particularly simple to find. If you really want to use the double integral, x goes from 0 to a and, for each x, y goes from 0 to x:

[tex]m= \int_0^a\int_0^x k dydx[/tex]
    [tex]M_x= \int_0^a\int_0^x kx dydx[/tex]
    [tex]M_y= \int_0^a\int_0^x ky dydx[/tex]

5. Jul 25, 2014 #4
    Aw sweet, turns out I had the wrong variable in my Mx & My formulas, kept getting the thing wrong:)

And for symbols, my screen just shows "quick symbols", none of the fancy LaTex y'all are using ^^

6. Jul 25, 2014 #5
    Okay actually I do have a question, in my book the formula for Mx is double integral of ky dA

And for My is double integral kx dA

Which is correct?

7. Jul 26, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean "which" is correct? [itex]M_x[/itex] is the moment of inertia about the x axis and is [itex]\int\int ky dA[/itex]. The y coordinate of the center of mass is [itex]\overline{y}= M_x/m= \int\int ky dA/m[/itex] and the x coordinate of the center of mass is [itex]\overline{x}= M_y/m= \int\int kx dA/m[/itex].

Personally, I find the "[itex]M_x[/itex]", "[itex]M_y[/itex]" notation "non-intuitive" and prefer the [itex]\overline{x}= \int\int kx dA[/itex], [itex]\overline{y}= \int\int ky dA[/itex] notation.

8. Jul 28, 2014 #7
    oh!! Yes :D Excellent, thank you for clearing that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted