1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find center of mass of the lamina

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the center of mass of the lamina which occupies if the density at any point is proportional to the distance from the origin.

36 <= x^2+y^2 <= 81, y >= 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Rewrote it in polars to get 6<r<9. The x is clearly 0 as you can see from symmetry, but I can't get y. The total mas should be 45pi/2 takeing the integral of r dr d(theta) with 0<theta<pi and 6<r<9. And to find y I need to take the Momentx/mass, but im not getting the right answer. For momentx I took the double integral of r**2*sin(theta) with the same limits to get 342. Can you see where I'm going wrong. Also density=k*r but that just leaves an extra k on mass and Mx which cancel. Any help would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the x coordinate is 0, by symmetry. The integration, using polar coordinates, will be with r= 6 to 9 and [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex].

I suggest you do the mass integral over again. I get much more then "45/pi/2".

I do get the same thing for Momentx as you did.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    I it turns out I just forgot an r in my integrals, just another careless mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook