1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find center of mass and coordinates using double integrals?

1. Feb 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D and has the given density function ρ.
    D is bounded by the parabolas y = x^2 and x = y^2; ρ(x, y) = 23√x

2. Relevant equations

m = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] ρ(x, y) dA
    x-bar = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] x*ρ(x, y) dA
    y-bar = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] y*ρ(x, y) dA

3. The attempt at a solution
    I integrated 23√x using order dydx with limits: x^2 ≤ y ≤ √x and 0 ≤ x ≤ 1.
    m = 69/14.

The problem I'm having is with the coordinates. I first got (x-bar,y-bar) as (14/62, 28/1265) but that was wrong in my online assignment. I used the same limits of integration and the above equations to find x-bar and y-bar. I don't know where I'm going wrong with the coordinates... Am I suppose to be using different limits?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are trying to compute m you just integrate 23. Why are you integrating sqrt(x) as well? m isn't 69/14. Can you spell out what you are doing in a little more detail?

4. Feb 18, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equations for x-bar and y-bar are incorrect. What you have are the expressions for the moments of D about the x and y axes. In order to find x-bar and y-bar, you must divide the moment values by the mass of the region D.

5. Feb 18, 2013 #4
    Oh my mistake, I used:

y-bar = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] y*ρ(x, y) dA
    x-bar = 1/m [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]_{D}[/itex] x*ρ(x, y) dA

to find the coordinates.

6. Feb 18, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And in your case, [itex]\rho(x,y)= 23[/itex], a constant. So
    [tex]\overline{x}= \frac{23}{m}\int\int x dxdy[/tex]
    [tex]\overline{y}= \frac{23}{m}\int\int y dxdy[/tex]
    with
    [tex]m= 23\int\int dxdy[/tex]

You are given "D is bounded by the parabolas y = x^2 and x = y^2". Those, of course, intersect at x= 0 and at x= 1. What will the limits of integration be?

7. Feb 18, 2013 #6
    Sorry for the confusion, the question was asking to integrate 23√x. I edited my first post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook