1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of solid and center of mass

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a solid in the first octant is bounded by the planes y=0 and z=0 and by the surfaces z=4-x^2 and x=y^2. its density function =kxy, k is a constant. find the mass of the solid and the center of mass

2. Relevant equations
    My= double integral of D[x*kxy]dA
    Mx=double integral of D[y*kxy]dA
    M= double integral of D[kxy]dA
    xbar=My/M
    ybar=Mx/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    this problem is way to complicated for me and I have a test on it this Thursday. Please guide me through the steps. What is the region D. What is dA. and do I even have the equations right or is the should I be using xbar=Myz/M, ybar=Mxz/M, and zbar=Mxy/M. Please explain how to solve these type problems. I need help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

D is not used correctly. I believe that it is supposed to represent the region over which integration is to be performed. D is the region in the first quadrant of the x-y plane that lies under the two paraboloids. You absolutely need a sketch of the solid you're working with, but as far as I can tell you haven't done this yet. You need to have a sketch of the solid in order to get the correct limits of integration in your iterated integral.

dA is a rectangular bit of the region D whose dimensions are delta_x times delta_y.

For your moment formulas, check your book. They should be listed there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook