1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass of an irregularly shaped object

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Center of Mass of an irregularly shaped object

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform piece of sheet steel is shaped as shown:
    ____
    | __|
    | |__
    |___|

Compute the x and y coordinates of the center of mass of the piece.

The sketch above isn't very good but its a graph with an X and Y axis in increments of 10 (from 0-30) and the shape is a C with the bottom length one block longer (6 blocks total).

2. Relevant equations

I know of m1x1+m2x2 etc../ m1+m2 etc... but this problem doesn't seem to follow that.

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea how to do an object other than having the object and doing the line test.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Can you find the center of mass of a rectangle? If so, treat this object as a collection of rectangles. (Then you can use that equation to find the center of mass of the entire object.)

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    :D That worked! Each block was a square, so I simply found the center of each and treated it like a system of six particles. I used the equation above by setting the mass of each particle to one (uniform piece of steel) and got the same answers as in the back of the textbook. I can't thank you enough Doc Al! This problem was driving me crazy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?