Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center pole magnet

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    I want you to help me settle an arguement. Is it possible to have a center-pole magnet? That is, a magnet with one pole at the center, and the other pole facing out in every direction? I think that it isn't, because the molecules would force each other to all face the same direcion, or all of the dipoles of each molecule would cancel out.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it is not possible. The simple answer is that div B = 0, which means that no net magnetic flux can come out of a closed surface. A closed surface around the center pole would have a net magnetic flux going through it.
  4. Mar 10, 2006 #3
    Thanks, I knew I was right. your explanation is a little confusing (I have to admit I don't know all of the magnetic equations, so I'm not sure what B stands for, or why its derivative would be taken), but your answer seems to line up with my common sense.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?