Center pole magnet

• Thread starter SaMx
  • Start date
I want you to help me settle an arguement. Is it possible to have a center-pole magnet? That is, a magnet with one pole at the center, and the other pole facing out in every direction? I think that it isn't, because the molecules would force each other to all face the same direcion, or all of the dipoles of each molecule would cancel out.

Answers and Replies

vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SaMx said:
I want you to help me settle an arguement. Is it possible to have a center-pole magnet? That is, a magnet with one pole at the center, and the other pole facing out in every direction? I think that it isn't, because the molecules would force each other to all face the same direcion, or all of the dipoles of each molecule would cancel out.

No, it is not possible. The simple answer is that div B = 0, which means that no net magnetic flux can come out of a closed surface. A closed surface around the center pole would have a net magnetic flux going through it.

Thanks, I knew I was right. your explanation is a little confusing (I have to admit I don't know all of the magnetic equations, so I'm not sure what B stands for, or why its derivative would be taken), but your answer seems to line up with my common sense.