Centering a Laser Beam received from multiple directions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of setting up mirrors in a way that directs a laser beam to a central location for data transmission between satellites. The idea of using a paraboloid mirror is brought up, but it is determined that it may not be feasible due to off-axis signals. The suggestion of using telescope optics with a finite entrance pupil is mentioned, but it is noted that the laser beam must be on-axis for this to work effectively. The use of convex lenses for rapid adjustment is also considered, but the effects of temperature and radiation on the lenses are brought up. The conversation ends with a question about the weight of a 20 meter lens.
Dohmer
Is it possible to set mirrors up in such a way that if you hit any area of any of the mirrors, the laser would be brought to a central location in the middle of the mirrors? I'm thinking of a way to transmit data in space via laser where you would want a large target for the laser to hit when sending information back and forth between satelites. The laser would hit the array from up to a wide angle (say <90°).

thank you so much. i have already put a fair amount of thought into this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What about a big paraboloid mirror?

DoItForYourself said:
What about a big paraboloid mirror?
Right, I was trying to think of a configuration. Maybe it is just a matter of coming up with an algorithm so that any area of a 'target' that you hit would allow the laser to be centered. A paraboloid mirror by itself would only have a very small region where the laser would hit the center, plus we have to remember the laser is moving a lot as well (assume the laser is in a higher Earth orbit).

Dohmer said:
Is it possible to set mirrors up in such a way that if you hit any area of any of the mirrors, the laser would be brought to a central location in the middle of the mirrors? I'm thinking of a way to transmit data in space via laser where you would want a large target for the laser to hit when sending information back and forth between satelites. The laser would hit the array from up to a wide angle (say <90°).

thank you so much. i have already put a fair amount of thought into this.
Dohmer said:
Right, I was trying to think of a configuration. Maybe it is just a matter of coming up with an algorithm so that any area of a 'target' that you hit would allow the laser to be centered. A paraboloid mirror by itself would only have a very small region where the laser would hit the center, plus we have to remember the laser is moving a lot as well (assume the laser is in a higher Earth orbit).

I don't think the parabolic antenna is a solution to what you are asking about. It sounds like you are wanting a way to aim fairly collimated lasers between several satellites and having good TX/RX gain between them. Parabolic antennas are not for receiving off-axis signals.

I think you will need to use a TX/RX pair for each communication path if they are not coaxial with the other paths. There may be a way to receive laser signals from multiple directions at once, but the signal-to-noise ratio will be pretty bad if you are receiving light from all around, just in order to be able to receive signals from a few discrete directions.

berkeman said:
I don't think the parabolic antenna is a solution to what you are asking about. It sounds like you are wanting a way to aim fairly collimated lasers between several satellites and having good TX/RX gain between them. Parabolic antennas are not for receiving off-axis signals.

I think you will need to use a TX/RX pair for each communication path if they are not coaxial with the other paths. There may be a way to receive laser signals from multiple directions at once, but the signal-to-noise ratio will be pretty bad if you are receiving light from all around, just in order to be able to receive signals from a few discrete directions.
The question is what kind of Rx can you set up to receive the laser transmission. it would be incredibly difficult to center this light on a Rx

Dohmer said:
The question is what kind of Rx can you set up to receive the laser transmission. it would be incredibly difficult to center this light on a Rx
To have good optical receive gain, you use something that looks like telescope optics. Those optics can either be made up of lenses or parabolic mirrors, or a combination. But telescope optics have a very finite entrance pupil, and do not receive optical signals that are off-axis. So as long as the Tx laser beam source is enough on-axis to be received by the Rx optics, you get a good Rx signal. But if your Tx beam is way off axis (even a few degrees, depending on your optical gain), you will not see that beam.

http://www.a-levelphysicstutor.com/images/optics/tels-Newtonian.jpg
tels-newtonian.jpg

Attachments

• tels-newtonian.jpg
    tels-newtonian.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 350
I believe what I will try to do is have 2-3 (or more) convex lenses where rapid adjustment of the middle lense will need to occur. I wonder if the temperature or level of radiation of the laser will affect all types of lenses. Also, if I were to have a say 20 meter lens, I wonder what the lightest weight lense I could have would be...

1. What is the purpose of centering a laser beam received from multiple directions?

The purpose of centering a laser beam received from multiple directions is to ensure that the laser beam is accurately aligned and focused on the target. This is important for experiments or applications that require precise positioning and precision in measurements.

2. How is a laser beam received from multiple directions centered?

To center a laser beam received from multiple directions, a series of adjustments need to be made to the optical components, such as mirrors or lenses, to direct the laser beam to the center of the target. This can be done manually or with the help of computer-controlled systems.

3. What factors can affect the centering of a laser beam received from multiple directions?

Several factors can affect the centering of a laser beam received from multiple directions, including misalignment of the optical components, thermal expansion or contraction of the equipment, and vibrations. It is important to regularly check and adjust for these factors to maintain accurate centering.

4. Are there any tools or techniques that can aid in centering a laser beam received from multiple directions?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can aid in centering a laser beam received from multiple directions. These include laser alignment tools, such as beam profilers or autocollimators, and techniques like the use of fiducials or reference marks on the target.

5. Can centering a laser beam received from multiple directions improve the quality of the laser beam?

Yes, centering a laser beam received from multiple directions can improve the quality of the laser beam. By accurately aligning and focusing the laser beam, it can reduce the beam's divergence and increase its intensity, resulting in a more precise and controlled beam for experiments or applications.