1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Central Limit Theorem question

1. Jan 17, 2006 #1
    Hi i was wondering if you could help me with the following question people?:
    The weight of a mint produced by a machine is a random variable with mean 10gm variance 2gm^2.
    1. What is the approximate probability that a bag with contents weighing 1000g will have more than 98 but less than 103 mints?
    2. find the target weight for the contents so that there will be at least 100 mints in each bag with a probability of 0.99
    I dont know what to put for n, and how to go about answering the question help people?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you been able to do with the problem? (Even if you've only identified a formula or theorem that might be useful, and have an idea how it might be useful, that's still something)

And what is this "n" of which you speak?

4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    No, the first part of the question says that 100 mints are in a bag and give the probability that the bag will weigh between 980 and 1100 grams, i get that part cos u take n to be 100, but i dont know how ud go about answering these next few parts

5. Jan 18, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, here's a start: since you titled this "Central Limit Theorem", the central limit theorem must play some part here. What does the central limit theorem say?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?