Problems applying the central limit theorem

In summary: I forget how to do this so I'll just say it's about 2.25.The probability of observing at least 200 snails in a random sample of 100 grid squares is approximately 95%.
giddy
So from what I understand, the central limit theorem allows us to calculate the probability of the mean of a number of independent observations of the same variable.

I probably have not understood something because I can't really solve any of the problems just based on the formula give.

Homework Statement

An unbiased dice(6 sides) is thrown once. From its distribution its mean is 3.5 and vriable is 35/12. The same dice is thrown 70 times. 1. Find the probability that the mean score is less than 3.3. 2. Find the probability that the total score exceeds 260.

Homework Equations

[tex]
X \sim N(\mu,\frac{\sigma^2}{n})
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
= X \sim N(3.5,\frac{35/12}{70})[/tex]
So I have to find P(X<3.3) standardize X to Z
[tex]
P(Z < \frac{3.5-3.3}{\sqrt{0.0416}})
= P(Z < 0.9806)
=\phi(0.9806) = 0.8365
[/tex]
And the answer is supposed to be 0.155!

I'm not sure at all how to approach the second part of the problem!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
giddy said:
So from what I understand, the central limit theorem allows us to calculate the probability of the mean of a number of independent observations of the same variable.
Well, it says that if a large number, n, of events have any probability distribution but with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] then the mean of those events will be approximately normally distributed with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma/\sqrt{n}[/itex] while their sum will be approximately normally distributed with mean [itex]n\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sqrt{n}\sigma[/itex].

I probably have not understood something because I can't really solve any of the problems just based on the formula give.

Homework Statement

An unbiased dice(6 sides) is thrown once. From its distribution its mean is 3.5 and vriable is 35/12.
Do you mean the variance is 35/12?

The same dice is thrown 70 times. 1. Find the probability that the mean score is less than 3.3. 2. Find the probability that the total score exceeds 260.

Homework Equations

[tex]
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
= X \sim N(3.5,\frac{35/12}{70})[/tex]
So I have to find P(X<3.3) standardize X to Z
[tex]
P(Z < \frac{3.5-3.3}{\sqrt{0.0416}})
= P(Z < 0.9806)
=\phi(0.9806) = 0.8365
[/tex]
And the answer is supposed to be 0.155!

I'm not sure at all how to approach the second part of the problem!?
Where did you get [itex]\sqrt{0.0416}[/itex]? If 35/12 is the variance of a single roll, then the variance for normal approximation is (35/12)/70= 1/24 and its standard deviation is [itex]\sqrt{1/24}[/itex]= 0.2041,

Last edited by a moderator:
hi.. yes I did mean variance... 1/24 = 0.41666...

Comes up close to the same thing... 3.5-3.3/0.2041 = 0.9799
P(Z < 0.9799) = 0.8368.. still not close to 0.155

In 1. The probablility you are asked is actually:

[tex]
P(Z < \frac{3.3-3.5}{\sqrt{\frac{35/12}{70}}}) = P(Z < -0.980)
[/tex]

I don't know what you mean by [itex]\phi(z)[/itex]

[itex]
\phi(z)
[/itex]
That would be finding the probability after standardizing X to Z so Z ~ N(0,1) there's a table I have in the back of my book where i look up the probability then.

Thanks that's correct...but its a little off from the answer:
P(Z < -0.980)
= 1 - phi(0.980)
1 - 0.8363 = 0.1637
The answer in my book is 0.155 but I've learned from a lot of mistakes that the textbook is very accurate.

giddy said:
Thanks that's correct...but its a little off from the answer:
P(Z < -0.980)
= 1 - phi(0.980)
1 - 0.8363 = 0.1637
The answer in my book is 0.155 but I've learned from a lot of mistakes that the textbook is very accurate.

The mean of an unbiased dice is:

[tex]
\mu = \mathrm{E}(X) = \frac{1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6}{6} = \frac{7}{2}
[/tex]

and the mean of the squares is:

[tex]
\mathrm{E}(X^{2}) = \frac{1^{2} + 2^{2} + 3^{2} + 4^{2} + 5^{2} + 6^{2}}{6} = \frac{7 \cdot 13}{6}
[/tex]

and the variance is:

[tex]
\sigma^{2} = \mathrm{var}(X) = \mathrm{E}(X^{2}) - [\mathrm{E}(X)]^{2} = \frac{7 \cdot 13}{6} - \frac{7 \cdot 7}{4} = \frac{7 \cdot (2 \cdot 13 - 3 \cdot 7)}{12} = \frac{35}{12}
[/tex]

so, there is no doubt about what you gave in the problem formulation. I checked in Mathematica that [itex]\Phi(0.980) = 0.836457[/itex]. The complementary of that is 0.163543.

If the book is right, then the complementary of 0.155 is 0.845. The z-score corresponding to this is [itex]\Phi(z_{0} = 0.845 \Rightarrow z_{0} = 1.01522[/itex], which would mean that:

[tex]
\frac{3.3 - \mu}{\sqrt{\frac{\sigma^{2}}{n}}} = -z_{0} \Rightarrow \frac{\sigma^{2}}{n} = \left(\frac{3.3 - \mu}{z_{0}}\right)^{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
n = \frac{z^{2}_{0} \, \sigma^{2}}{(3.3 - \mu)^{2}} = \frac{1.01522 \times 2.9167}{0.04} = 74
[/tex]

hey, thanks so much. Seems the problem with the next 2 problems was post #4. But what about the second part of the problem... the next problem in my book is similar and I don't even know how to approach it.

A rectangular field is gridded into squares of side 1m. At one time of the year the number of snails in the field can be modeled by the Poission Distribution with a mean of 2.25 per m2.

Show that the probability of observing at least 200 snails in a random sample of 100 grid squares is approximately 95%.

So X ~ Po(2.25) E(X) = 2.25 and Var(X) = 2.25. So could you gimme a hint?

We are not a problem solving forum. You need to present your own work.

yea, I understand. I just wanted to know how to approach the problem. I've tried a few random things.

I just tried applying : [tex]
[/tex] for P( X > 200) = [tex]200-2.25/\sqrt{2.25/100}[/tex] = -1318.33 Which can't be standardized.
Also, trying T = probability of total number of snails
E(T) = 200* E(X) = 200 * 2.25
Var(T) = 200*Var(X) = 200 * (2.25/100)
T ~ N(450, 4.5)
[tex]P(T > 200) = 200-450/\sqrt{4.5} = -117.8 [/tex]
Again a bogus answer.

I don't really know how to begin?

You're getting screwed up answers because you're making numerous errors by mixing up quantities left and right. Try rereading the first paragraph of HallsofIvy's post above and then carefully apply the central limit theorem again. Remember you have two different distributions involved in the problem, one for a single lot, which is described by the Poisson distribution, and one for the total of 100 lots, which is described by the approximately Gaussian distribution.

Sorry, I can be very distracted(Was diagnosed with ADD symptoms but the meds didn't do much)

So the second part of what HallsofIvy's post says about the central limit theorem isn't in my book.The part where the sum of the probabilities is mean * n and the SD is sqrt{n * SD}.
So that seems to give my the answer 0.9522! 95%

I'm just a little bit on edge because for some reason every one of my answers to all the problems in this jinxed exercise is slightly off. The books answer to this problem is 0.9554 above I got 0.9522, the next problem the answer is 0.0082 whereas my answer is 0.0079. Another problem... I solved... for n with the central limit theorem and the answer was bogus so I solved it backward like dickfore did in #6 with the supposed answer for n and I get a a bogus probability. =P Normally these CIE endorsed books are very accurate to the last decimal.

That was the last of this chapter.. . I'm moving on to Chapter 5 - Estimation now... sorry for all the trouble! Thanks!

What is the central limit theorem and why is it important?

The central limit theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that as the sample size of a population increases, the distribution of sample means will approach a normal distribution. This is important because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample, and it is the basis for many statistical analyses and hypothesis testing.

What are some common problems encountered when applying the central limit theorem?

Some common problems encountered when applying the central limit theorem include: small sample sizes, non-normal populations, and biased samples. These can lead to inaccurate conclusions and should be carefully considered when using the central limit theorem.

How do you know if the central limit theorem applies to a specific situation?

The central limit theorem applies to situations where the sample size is large (typically at least 30) and the observations are independent. Additionally, the population should not be strongly skewed or have extreme values. If these conditions are met, the central limit theorem can be applied.

What are some alternatives to using the central limit theorem?

Some alternatives to using the central limit theorem include: the bootstrap method, which involves resampling from the original sample to create a distribution of sample means, and the use of non-parametric methods, which do not make assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data.

Can the central limit theorem be applied to any type of data?

The central limit theorem can be applied to any type of data, as long as the sample size is large enough and the data meets the assumptions of the theorem. However, it is important to note that the central limit theorem is most useful for continuous data and may not be as accurate for discrete or categorical data.