Central limit theorem [probability]

In summary, the number of requests for a popular Web page is a Poisson random variable with an expected value of 360 requests. If the number of requests in a one-minute interval is greater than 360, the server is overloaded. The central limit theorem can be used to estimate the smallest value of 360 for which the probability of overload is less than 0.025.
brokeninside
1. In any one-minute interval, the number of requests for a popular Web page is a Poisson random variable with expected value 360 requests.

A Web server has a capacity of C requests per minute. If the number of requests in a one-minute interval is greater than C the server is overloaded. Use the central limit theorem to estimate the smallest value of C for which the probability of overload is less than 0.025.

Because it's a Poisson distribution then E[X] = 360 = alpha = Var[X]
I'm using a Z table, so at 0.5-0.025 = 0.475, Z = 1.96
so Phi((x-360/sqrt(360)) = 1.96
and I get x = 397.1884 which is wrong.

am I on the right track, or completely off?

Physics news on Phys.org
brokeninside said:
1. In any one-minute interval, the number of requests for a popular Web page is a Poisson random variable with expected value 360 requests.

A Web server has a capacity of C requests per minute. If the number of requests in a one-minute interval is greater than C the server is overloaded. Use the central limit theorem to estimate the smallest value of C for which the probability of overload is less than 0.025.

I don't see anything glaringly wrong. What are you given as the right answer?

I'm not given a correct answer, my webwork just tells me if my answer is right or wrong and I get a certain number of tries.

brokeninside said:

Your solution method is OK. Your answer is only a very little bit wrong. The exact answer, using the Poisson and solving numerically, is C = 398.1530823, which we should round up to 399. You should round yours up to 398.

RGV

Ah okay. Thank you!

brokeninside said:
Ah okay. Thank you!

Actually, your solution is more-or-less exact; in my previous response I mistakenly used C-1 instead of C. The precise solution, using the exact Poisson distribution, is C = 397.15308; this expresses P{X > C} = P{X >= C+1} in terms of incomplete Gamma functions, and so makes sense even for non-integer C. So, the usable solution is to round up to 398. Your normal approximation of 397.1884 is very close tot the exact, and rounds up to exactly the same integer 398.

RGV

What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem is a fundamental concept in probability theory that states that as the sample size of a population increases, the sampling distribution of the means of random samples from that population will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the population.

Why is the Central Limit Theorem important?

The Central Limit Theorem is important because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample. It also allows us to use statistical methods that assume a normal distribution, even when the underlying population may not be normally distributed.

What are the assumptions of the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem assumes that the samples are randomly and independently drawn from a population, and that the sample size is large enough (typically n ≥ 30). It also assumes that the population has a finite variance.

How is the Central Limit Theorem applied in real life?

The Central Limit Theorem has applications in various fields, including finance, economics, and social sciences. It is used to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. For example, it can be used to determine the mean height of a population by taking a random sample of individuals.

Are there any limitations to the Central Limit Theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Central Limit Theorem. It may not apply to small sample sizes or when the underlying population has a heavy-tailed distribution. It also assumes that the samples are truly random and independent, which may not always be the case in real life scenarios.