Centre of mass of a solid hemisphere. What am I doing wrong?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
Marvin94
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
2sayzr6.jpg


I have to calculate the centre of mass of the drawn hemisphere. I don't understand where I make mistakes. The process I followed on the above image is the following:

(I) Here I simply translated position vector components from cartesian to polar coordinates.
(II) Formula of x-component of position vector of centre of gravity (this position vector clearly lies on the x-axis, so I'm interested only in this component)
(III) This is the volume element for polar coordinates system.

After that, I just put (III) into (II).

The problem is that, the result of the last (triple) integral (computable easily with wolfram alpha) seems to result zero! I thought that the mistake could be in the integration limits, but they look to be correct. Where am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Marv,

Check your integration limits anyway. Looks to me that you aren't integrating over the righthand half of the sphere...
 
I tried to understand why what I wrote should be wrong, but I don't see the mistake. Which limits do you think are correct?
 
Well, you haven't shown what ##\theta## ande ##\phi## are, so I can't tell, but you can !
[edit] but it's implicit in your coordinate transformation. Check if Rx > 0 always during the integration...
 
θ = angle between position vector and x-axis
ϕ = angle between position vector and z-axis
 
I used an ambiguous notation: I should precise, that the initial vector r (see (I) ) is a general position vector. The vector rx I use after that refers to the position vector of the centre of mass (not the general one!).
 
Check if your rx is always positive.
Check if your ry really runs from -1 to +1
Check if your rz really runs from -1 to +1

As an exercise, do the integration yourself, instead of with the Wolfram crutches.
 
Marvin94 said:
θ = angle between position vector and x-axis
ϕ = angle between position vector and z-axis
Nope. Not if ##z = r\cos \theta##
 
Check terms in $$ r_{cm} = \frac{1}{V}\int\int\int \,r\,dV $$