1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass of a solid hemisphere. What am I doing wrong?

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    2sayzr6.jpg

I have to calculate the centre of mass of the drawn hemisphere. I don't understand where I make mistakes. The process I followed on the above image is the following:

(I) Here I simply translated position vector components from cartesian to polar coordinates.
    (II) Formula of x-component of position vector of centre of gravity (this position vector clearly lies on the x-axis, so I'm interested only in this component)
    (III) This is the volume element for polar coordinates system.

After that, I just put (III) into (II).

The problem is that, the result of the last (triple) integral (computable easily with wolfram alpha) seems to result zero! I thought that the mistake could be in the integration limits, but they look to be correct. Where am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Marv,

Check your integration limits anyway. Looks to me that you aren't integrating over the righthand half of the sphere....

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    I tried to understand why what I wrote should be wrong, but I don't see the mistake. Which limits do you think are correct?

5. May 28, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you havent shown what ##\theta## ande ##\phi## are, so I can't tell, but you can !
    [edit] but it's implicit in your coordinate transformation. Check if Rx > 0 always during the integration...

6. May 28, 2015 #5
    θ = angle between position vector and x-axis
    ϕ = angle between position vector and z-axis

7. May 28, 2015 #6
    I used an ambiguous notation: I should precise, that the initial vector r (see (I) ) is a general position vector. The vector rx I use after that refers to the position vector of the centre of mass (not the general one!).

8. May 28, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check if your rx is always positive.
    Check if your ry really runs from -1 to +1
    Check if your rz really runs from -1 to +1

As an exercise, do the integration yourself, instead of with the Wolfram crutches.

9. May 28, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nope. Not if ##z = r\cos \theta##

10. May 28, 2015 #9
    Check terms in $$ r_{cm} = \frac{1}{V}\int\int\int \,r\,dV $$

11. May 28, 2015 #10
    Thanks you all a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted