1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass of truncated sphere

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    derivation of the centre of mass of the truncated sphere

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried to solve it with triple integrals but i failed to figure ut the integral limits

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You need to give more information here.
    HOW is the sphere trunctated?

AS for the integral limits, you should most likely shift to spherical coordinates.

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3
    Dear,
    Please see the attached File

Attached Files:

5. Apr 6, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Please state the problem here, rather than referring to some other document I have to wait before opening.

6. Apr 6, 2009 #5
    i m sorry for that but i can not draw diagram in this page,thats why i send the attached image.
    i m again sorry ,i dont want u to wait.

7. Apr 6, 2009 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I am unable to open the file prior to the mentor's approval of it.

8. Apr 6, 2009 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Now, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by saying "h and R" is changing.
    We have the relation:
    [tex]h=R+\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex]
    For any particular truncation, (with [itex]\phi[/itex] being the angle between the upwards vertical and the position vector from the origin,) we may decompose our volume as a sphere with the appropriate cone cut out, plus that cone.

The volume of the cone is clearly: [tex]V_{cone}=\frac{1}{3}\pi(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}*\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex]
    wheras the volume of the "cone-less" sphere must be:
    [tex]V=\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R}r^{2}\sin\phi{dR}d\theta{d}\phi=\frac{2\pi{R}^{3}}{3}(1+\cos(\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})))=\frac{2\pi{R}^{3}}{3}(1+\frac{\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}}{R})[/tex]

9. Apr 6, 2009 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As for the center of mass, I forgot that that was your question. Sorry, I'll look upon it tomorrow..

10. Apr 9, 2009 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, I'll finish this, then:

Since [itex]z=r\cos\phi[/itex], it follows that on the plane where [itex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex], we have that the radius follows the the curve:
    [tex]r=\frac{\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}}{\cos\phi}[/tex]

Also, remember that the truncated sphere is axially symmetric, so that the x-y-coordinates must be zero.

Generally, assuming unit density, the z-coordinate of the center of mass of some region R will be:
    [tex]z_{c.m}=\frac{1}{V}\int_{R}zdV[/tex]

We decompose our integral into two parts, then (with V as the ugly expression given above):
    [tex]z_{c.m}=\frac{2\pi}{V}(\int_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}\int_{0}^{\frac{Z}{\cos\phi}}zr^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}dr+\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}zr^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}dr)[/tex]

With [tex]Z=\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex]

We now calculate the two integrals:
    [tex]\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}zr^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}dr=\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}r^{3}\cos\phi\sin\phi{d\phi}dr=\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\frac{R^{4}}{4}\cos\phi\sin(\phi)d\phi=\frac{R^{4}}{8}\sin^{2}\phi\mid_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}=-\frac{R^{2}\alpha^{2}}{32}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}\int_{0}^{\frac{Z}{\cos\phi}}r^{3}\cos\phi\sin\phi{d\phi}dr=\int_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}\frac{Z^{4}}{4}\frac{\sin\phi}{\cos^{3}\phi}d\phi=\frac{Z^{4}}{8}\frac{1}{\cos^{2}\phi}\mid_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}=\frac{Z^{4}}{8}(\frac{4R^{2}}{4R^{2}-\alpha^{2}}-1)=\frac{Z^{4}}{8}\frac{\alpha^{2}}{4R^{2}-\alpha^{2}}[/tex]

Adding these, you should get someting like:
    [tex]z_{c.m}=-\frac{\pi\alpha^{4}}{64V}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  11. Apr 9, 2009 #10
    dear can u tell what is alpha

12. Apr 11, 2009 #11
    Dear arildno,
    Please explain about alpha ,i dont understand about it

13. Apr 11, 2009 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay, I misread your [itex]\gamma[/itex] for an [itex]\alpha[/itex].
    Sorry about that.

14. Jun 28, 2009 #13
    [itex] \bar{z} = \frac{1}{V}\int_R z dV [/itex]

Why isn't the answer:

[itex]\frac{\int _0^hz r^2\text{Sin}\left[\text{ArcCos}\left[1-\frac{z}{r}\right]\right]^2dz}{\int _0^h r^2\text{Sin}\left[\text{ArcCos}\left[1-\frac{z}{r}\right]\right]^2dz}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook