1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration and velocity derivation

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    in physics, i've been taught that centripetal acceleration is given by v^2/r, but when i try to derive it myself, i get a=2v^2/(pi*r). i said that if the time period is T, after a time of T/4, the velocity would be going in the next direction, i said west to south, and this gives the equation a=4v/T, i then said that T=2*pi*r/v, so a=2v^2/(pi*r). how do you derive the known equation? please help me!?!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Several problems here. First, by taking a quarter of a circle you are only able to calculate the average acceleration during that time interval, aave = Δv/Δt. You want the instantaneous acceleration, not the average. Second, you found the average acceleration for a quarter circle incorrectly; Δv ≠ v.

To learn how the centripetal acceleration formula is derived, read this: http://dev.physicslab.org/Document....e=CircularMotion_CentripetalAcceleration.xml"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook