1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Acceleration HELP. Is it challenging? Well come find out!

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1. An athlete whirls a 7.48 kg hammer tied to
    the end of a 1.4 m chain in a horizontal circle.
    The hammer moves at the rate of 1.76 rev/s.
    What is the centripetal acceleration of the
    hammer? Assume his arm length is included
    in the length given for the chain.
    Answer in units of m/s

2. Equations I am pretty sure I need are
    v = 2∏r/T
    and
    ac= v2/r
    not sure if I need any others.

3. I tried finding v first, and I assumed the 1.76 rev/s was T, so I did 2*∏*1.4(about 8.80) and divided it by 1.76, getting about 4.99 m/s
    and I plugged it in to the ac equation.
    So I squared the 4.99, getting about 24.98, and dividng it by 1.4, which gets me about 17.843.
    But that answer is wrong.
    I don't know what the answer is.

I feel like what I am doing wrong is the 1.76 rev/s is not T, or it is, but I have to change it so it's in like m/s or something like that. If that's the case, then I need help finding that because I have no idea how to do that.

Thank you for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2
    in your equation for v, T is the time to complete one revolution (make sure you see why)

1.76 rev/s

is that what you want? or is it seconds per rev?

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    I think I see where you are getting at.
    For every second that passes, it makes 1.76 revolutions.
    But to find the velocity, I need to put T as a time per revolution. So would I just do the inverse of T?
    So if i do the inverse for T, wouldn't that just be multiplying T with the 2∏r?
    But wouldn't I need to the the inverse of everything else as well? What you do to one side of the equation, you do to the other.

So 1/v = T/2∏r
    And then do the inverse again to get the answer. But isn't that the same is the answer I would have gotten before? Am I even going in the right direction?

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4
    well 1.76 is not T. Your messing around with thinking that it is. 1.76 is the angular speed, completely different from T.

the equation v = 2∏r/T is correct. Find T.

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    If I want to turn the rev/s into common terms, would I multiply 1,76 by 2∏r?

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6
    I have yet to learn about angular speed in my class, so I know practically nothing on it.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7

With what you have now, you have 1.76 revolutions over one second. Just do the inverse of that: (1/1.76) to find your period, T

This is the relationship between frequency and period.

You are given a frequency of 1.76 rev/sec.

Frequency is (1/T) T is the period

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted