What Causes the Centripetal Acceleration in Circular Motion?

In summary, the centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle, even if the velocity vector is in a different direction. This can be seen by comparing the changes in velocity from moment to moment and understanding that acceleration can only be produced by a force.
cragar
It seems that centripetal acceleration should be in the same direction as the velocity vector.
Why is it directed into the center of the circle. I remember walter lewin talking about a marble inside a glass test tube. Imagine the marble inside of it and I swing the test tube like a baseball bat horizontal to the ground. When i first start to swing the bat i push the marble with the side of the test tube and the marble wants to go in a straight line, and the reason it goes out towards the end is because when i move the test tube, I have allowed the marble moving in a straight line to occupy the end of the test tube. So why is the acceleration into the center of the circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
It seems that centripetal acceleration should be in the same direction as the velocity vector.
Once the marble has reached the end of the tube and is executing uniform circular motion, what is its acceleration? Compare how the velocity vector changes from moment to moment and you'll see why the acceleration is centripetal.

ok i see thanks for your response .

cragar said:
When i first start to swing the bat i push the marble with the side of the test tube and the marble wants to go in a straight line, and the reason it goes out towards the end is because when i move the test tube, I have allowed the marble moving in a straight line to occupy the end of the test tube. So why is the acceleration into the center of the circle.

hi cragar! :smile:

no, before the marble reaches the end, the only force is tangential (from the side of the tube), so the acceleration is purely tangential

the radial acceleration is r'' - v2/r, and that has to be zero!

the radial acceleration doesn't become non-zero until there's a force from the end of the tube (forcing r'' = 0, of course) :wink:

so is the radial acceleration produced because the marble wants to move in a straight line but the end of the tube is pushing on it?

cragar said:
so is the radial acceleration produced because the marble wants to move in a straight line but the end of the tube is pushing on it?

acceleration can only be produced by a force …

the only force is from the glass of the tube …

initially it's tangential, but yes when the marble gets to the end it's radial :smile:

(and forget about where "the marble wants to move" … that's its present velocity, whcih has nothing to do with acceleration)

ok i think i got it , thanks for your answers

cragar said:
Yes.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is caused by the centripetal force acting on the object.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is a type of acceleration that changes the direction of an object's velocity, whereas regular acceleration changes the magnitude of an object's velocity. Centripetal acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object, while regular acceleration can be in any direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. How does centripetal acceleration affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal acceleration does not directly affect the speed of an object, but it does determine the direction of the velocity. As the object moves in a circular path, its speed remains constant, but its direction changes due to the changing direction of the centripetal acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in real-life include the motion of planets around the sun, the spinning of a ball on a string, and the rotation of a car around a curved track. Roller coasters and merry-go-rounds also exhibit centripetal acceleration as they move in circular paths.