Centripetal motion, how to find radius?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the radius of a plane flying in a horizontal circle with a speed of 620km/h and wings tilted at 35 degrees to the horizontal. The required force is provided by aerodynamic lift perpendicular to the wing surface, and the centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the speed and radius of the circle. The angle of the wings also affects the lift force and its component in the centripetal direction. After revising a calculation error, the correct radius was determined to be approximately 4318 meters.
cruisx

Homework Statement

Hi guys, i need some help solving the following question.

An Airplane is flying in a Horizontal circle at speed of 620km/h. If the wings of the plane are tilted 35 degrees to the horizontal, what is the radius of the circle in which the plane is flying? Assume that the required force is provided entirely by an aerodynamic lift that is perpendicular to the wing surface.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if i had time i could find the radius by using R = vT/2pi But i don't have that so how would i go about solving this Problem? Also what can i do with that angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
A certain amount of centripetal acceleration is required in order to keep the plane in a circle going at that speed at a certain radius. In fact, you should know how the centripetal acceleration is related to the speed and radius of the circle.

As for the angle, the lift force is what is providing the centripetal force. However, because the wing is tilted at a certain angle, and the lift force is perpendicular to it, only a certain component of the lift force will be pointing in the "centripetal" direction. You can calculate what that component is.

Ok thank you, so i came up with the following, is this correct?
I got the equation m(v2/R) = mgtan[tex]\theta[/tex]
then i changed that to this as both masses cancel out.

r = V2/gtan35

and my answer was

4750.8m.

Is this correct?

I agree with your formula. My answer is less than yours by 432.8 m.

cepheid said:
I agree with your formula. My answer is less than yours by 432.8 m.

Oops i think i used 650km instead of 620km/h. I got this

4321.29m

Correct?

Seems closer. Like I said in my previous post, I got ~ 4318 m

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed.

2. How do you find the radius in centripetal motion?

The radius in centripetal motion can be found using the formula: r = v^2/a, where r is the radius, v is the speed of the object, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

3. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path that is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion.

4. How is centripetal motion related to Newton's first law of motion?

Centripetal motion is related to Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, which states that an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of centripetal motion, the object's inertia causes it to continue moving in a circular path unless a centripetal force acts upon it.

5. What are some real-world examples of centripetal motion?

Some common examples of centripetal motion include the motion of a satellite in orbit around a planet, the motion of a car around a curved track, and the motion of a Ferris wheel. Any object that moves in a circular path can be considered an example of centripetal motion.