Centripetel acceleration and tension

In summary, when a 2.0 kg object is attached to a 1.5 m long string and swung in a vertical circle at a constant speed of 12 m/s, the tension in the string is equal to the sum of gravity and centripetal force. At the bottom of the path, tension and gravity are both pointing upwards, while at the top, tension and gravity are pointing in opposite directions. The magnitude and direction of tension changes during the loop, always pointing towards the center of the circle. The net force equation for circular motion is T - G = ma = mac = Fc.
dnt
the question is a 2.0 kg object is attached to a 1.5 m long string and swung in a vertical circle at a constant speed of 12 m/s.

a. what is the tension in the string when the object is at the bottom of its path

b. what is the tension in the string when the object is at the top of its path

can someone help me set up the free body diagram for both. what i think is that at the bottom, you have weight down, centripetel force down, and tension up? is that right?

but after that, i still don't konw how to set it up because net force equals ma, but what is the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the bottom, you have two forces: tension of the string and gravity.
Sum of these should equal centripetal force (which is, of course, upwards).

then at the top you have gravity and centripetel force down which equals tension (pointing up?) is that correct?

general question: how do you know which way tension points in free body diagrams with strings?

tension can only be downwards when it is at the top- tension can never push objects.

Päällikkö said:
At the bottom, you have two forces: tension of the string and gravity.
Sum of these should equal centripetal force (which is, of course, upwards).

andrewchang said:
tension can only be downwards when it is at the top- tension can never push objects.

dont these two statements contradict each other?

still not understanding how to determine the direction of tension, especially in a question like this?

dnt said:
dont these two statements contradict each other?
still not understanding how to determine the direction of tension, especially in a question like this?
No. I wrote about tension at the bottom, andrewchang posted about the top of the loop. The magnitude and direction of tension changes during the loop.

Tension points to the center of the cirle (along the rope).

then I am still confused. you said at the bottom, tension and gravity should equal centripetel force.

well, if gravity points down, and tension points up, how can they add up to equal centripetel force (which is up)?

i drew a free body diagram, and at the bottom i have gravity (down), centripetel (up) and tension (up).

shouldnt centripetel + tension = gravity?

T + (-G) = Fc
Gravity has a negative sign (or tension, depending on how you choose the positive directions. Anyways, they have different signs).

ok then my problem arises from relating the free body diagram to the net force equation. i was taught that all the forces in one direction minus the forces in another direction equals mass times acceleration. well in the up/down direction, a=0, so all the forces pointing up should equal all the forces pointing down. is that logic correct?

well if so, and you said gravity is down, centripetel force is up and tension is up (again, this is at the bottom of the swinging objects path), shouldn't it be:

Fc + T = G

but you said: T + (-G) = Fc which is the same as Fc + G = T

basically the T and G are switched.

im so confused.

a is clearly not 0, the particle undergoes circular motion!

Fc isn't a force, it's the sum of forces.

The two forces acting on the particle are tension and gravity (as stated before):
T - G = ma = mac = Fc

oh i was looking at it in the vertical direction and assumed a=0 (thought the acceleration was in the horizontal).

now that equation makes sense. thanks.

for the top i could say T + G = Fc? is that right? or is it -T - G = Fc?

dnt said:
oh i was looking at it in the vertical direction and assumed a=0 (thought the acceleration was in the horizontal).
There is no acceleration in the horizontal, as there's no forces acting horizontally (this changes at the instant the rope isn't perfectly vertical, though).

dnt said:
for the top i could say T + G = Fc? is that right? or is it -T - G = Fc?
T + G = Fc is good, as it's the same as:
-T - G = -Fc (the same choice of positive/negative directions)

Last edited:

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path. It is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object and its magnitude is equal to (v^2)/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circle.

What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force directed towards the center of the circular path. This force can be provided by tension, gravity, or any other external force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or any other type of flexible connector. It is always directed along the length of the string and its magnitude is equal at every point in the string.

How is tension related to centripetal acceleration?

In the case of circular motion, tension is the force that provides the centripetal force required for the object to move in a circular path. The tension force is equal to the centripetal force, and therefore, it is directly related to the centripetal acceleration of the object.

Can tension and centripetal acceleration ever be equal?

Yes, in the case of uniform circular motion, where the speed of the object remains constant, the tension force and the centripetal force are equal. This allows the object to continue moving in a circular path without changing its speed or direction.