Centripital Acceleration problem

In summary, the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, and it is specific to circular motion. It differs from regular acceleration in that it is always directed towards the center of the circle. Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional, and changing the radius of the circular path affects the acceleration. The direction of centripetal acceleration can change as the direction of the object's velocity changes, but it will always be directed towards the center of the circle.
Megatron20
Using a rotational platform I found the following values..
Mass of bob: 457 grams
Radius: 16 cm
time to make 100 rotations: 67.4 seconds
I need to find the velocity and was given the following equation V=2pi(r^2)/t *100
Once I find the velocity i need to plug that into the following equation to find force
F=mV^2/r

The counter force in the experiment was 5.4 N and i can't get anywhere near there. Can someone help me with this problem please.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show your attempt at the problem?

1. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How does centripetal acceleration differ from regular acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is specific to circular motion and is always directed towards the center of the circle, while regular acceleration can occur in any direction.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

The centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. As the centripetal force increases, so does the centripetal acceleration.

4. How does changing the radius affect centripetal acceleration?

As the radius of the circular path decreases, the centripetal acceleration increases. This is because the object is traveling a shorter distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher velocity and therefore a higher acceleration.

5. Can the direction of centripetal acceleration change?

Yes, the direction of centripetal acceleration can change as the direction of the object's velocity changes. However, the acceleration will always be directed towards the center of the circle.