1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid of a semicircular arc

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here, I have two ways of finding the y-coordinate centroid of a semicircular arc using polar coordinates.

[​IMG]

First one is considering a circle of radius a, centred at the origin. What I have done is [tex]\int ds = \int_0^{\pi} a d\theta = \pi a[/tex] and then [tex]\int y ds = \int r^2 sin \theta d\theta = a^2 \int_0^{\pi} sin \theta d\theta = 2a^2[/tex], then y-centroid is 2a/π. I'm quite sure this is the right answer.

Second is a more roundabout method. It uses a circle with equation [tex]r=2a cos \theta[/tex]. A right angle triangle fits inside the circle and the angle between the side passing through the origin and the x-axis is theta. But I do not get a similar answer. Here my method is to use [tex]\int y ds = \int r sin\theta \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2} d\theta = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 2a cos \theta (2a) d\theta = 4a^2[/tex], where the limits of the integral run from 0 to half pi due to how the angle is set up. (From my working, the messy square roots part becomes just 2a.) The y-centroid for the semicircle is 4a/π, which is wrong. Can someone advise me where I have gone wrong?

The y-coordinate centroid should be the same for both as the difference between the two figures is that one is shifted a-units along the x-axis.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2
    Sorry, I've solved this... careless... final integral should have been 2a cos theta sin theta.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?