1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid of a solid of revolution

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The curve 3x2+2y2-12y=32 is rotated about the x-axis and forms a solid hemisphere.

Verify that the weight is 8cm from the bottom of the hemisphere.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, I can only do a little bit in centroids but that is for just plane surfaces. I do not think I know how to do it when it is rotated.

I thought it would be similar to the formula for centroids like

[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{\int x dA}{\int dA}[/tex]

would be similar to

[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{\int x dV}{\int dV}[/tex]

when rotated. I need some help in doing it.

EDIT:

I considered a cylindrical element of radius x and width dy.
    So that the volume of this small element is [itex]dV= \pi x^2 dy[/itex]

Then I should have to take the first moment of volume about the x-axis? (like the first moment of area)
    But I am not sure how to take this moment of volume

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This makes no sense at all. Rotating 3x2+ 2y2- 12y= 32 around the x-axis does NOT form a "solid hemisphere" and there is no "weight".

No, it wouldn't be. If a figure is rotated around the x-axis then it would be [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex].

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

sorry...I meant rotated around the y-axis.

5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rotating that around the y-axis still does not give a "solid hemisphere", it gives an ellipsoid.

It shoule be obvious, by symmetry, that the x and z components of the centroid are 0. Yes, the y component of the centroid is given by
    [tex]\overline{y}= \frac{\int y dV}{\int dV}[/tex]

I would recommend doing the integration in cylindrical coordinates except altered to use polar coordinates in the xz-plane rather than the xy-plane. That is, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= y[/itex], [itex]z= r sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]dV= r sin(\theta)drd\theta dy[/itex]. Alternatively, just replace "y" by "z" in the original equation and find the "z" component of the centroid.

6. Nov 1, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I have never done double/triple integrals as dv is in terms of three differentials. But the question just showed me a picture of a kind of semi-circle and said that was the curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?