1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid of composite area (one question)

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    I was doing this example from my textbook and looked at the solution guide. I'm confused as to where the textbook got a certain number.

UZfv3Vg.jpg

In the numerator of their work, they got (1)(6)(2), which I'm assuming is the width of the skinny rectangle, the total length of the bottom section, and the height of the bottom rectangle, respectively...correct me if I'm wrong.

The next part is 2[3.5(3)(1)]

The 2 outside the square bracket is for the two smaller rectangles poking up, the 3 would be the length of them, and the 1 would be the width of them. But what is that 3.5?

Sorry for cutting off the denominator from the picture, but I understand that part. It's just that 3.5 that I'm unsure of.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2
    The 3.5 is the y-distance of the centroid of the skinny rectangles from the x axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted