Centroids of various triangles.

In summary, the centroid of a triangular frame formed by three uniform rods is located at 1/3rd of the perpendicular distance from any selected base to the opposite vertex.
zinc79
I've been having some confusions regarding the centroid coordinates of triangles.

I've been taught that the centroid of a triangle lies at 1/3rd of the perpendicular distance from any selected base to the corresponding top point of the triangle.

I tried to use this shortcut to find the centroid of a triangular shape formed by three uniform-thickness rods, and my answer came out wrong. I consulted my teacher, and he told me that this shortcut applies only to planar triangles of a uniform lamina. The explanation doesn't make sense to me. Why can it not apply? Doesn't every solid object share the same centroid with its hollow counterpart?

What about other variations of the triangle? What if its isoceles, or equilateral? Does the 1/3rd distance rule apply to them or not, then? What about triangles formed with 3 rods, consisting of a circular disc in the middle which touches all three rods ? What if this triangle is equilateral? Does the shortcut apply?

Physics news on Phys.org
zinc79 said:
I've been having some confusions regarding the centroid coordinates of triangles.

I've been taught that the centroid of a triangle lies at 1/3rd of the perpendicular distance from any selected base to the corresponding top point of the triangle.

I tried to use this shortcut to find the centroid of a triangular shape formed by three uniform-thickness rods, and my answer came out wrong. I consulted my teacher, and he told me that this shortcut applies only to planar triangles of a uniform lamina. The explanation doesn't make sense to me. Why can it not apply? Doesn't every solid object share the same centroid with its hollow counterpart?

What about other variations of the triangle? What if its isoceles, or equilateral? Does the 1/3rd distance rule apply to them or not, then? What about triangles formed with 3 rods, consisting of a circular disc in the middle which touches all three rods ? What if this triangle is equilateral? Does the shortcut apply?

The centroid is 1/3 the perpendicular distance from any selected base to the opposite vertex marked out on the median from that base to that vertex. It works for all planar triangles. For the center of mass to be coincident with the centroid the lamina comprising the triangle must be of uniform density and symmetric relative to the centroid. The only case where the centroid and the center of mass would align using three uniform rods would be in the case of the equilateral triangle. In all other cases the alignment would fail. In the picture below you can see how the width of each leg is different, hence the failure using uniform rods.

Chris

Attachments

• centroid.png
    centroid.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 759
  • centroid_2.jpg
    centroid_2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 757
realization

First of all, thanks for replying.

Secondly, you seem to be treating the centroid and center of mass separately. Are they not the same? Please clarify me on this.

"Symmetric relative to the centroid". What do you mean by this? I don't see any form of symmetry, like in the centroid.png file, unless the triangle is equilateral.

And I still didn't understand your bit about the alignment fail in a non-equilateral triangle made of uniform rods. The pictures only show the centroids. Where/what is the centroid and the center of mass of such a triangle then in a non-equilateral triangle?

With my assumption that a centroid and center of mass are the same, I tried to calculate the centroid of a right-angled triangle and an equilateral triangle. Both triangles were formed by three rods each, each rod of the same mass. The centroids came out 1/3rd of the perpendicular distance from each base to the opposite vertex. So I thought that it will probably apply to all such triangles.

I have just realized something. Still continuing the assumption that the center of mass and the centroid are one and the same, yes, each and every triangular frame formed by three rods each, with each rod of the same thickness may not have the centroid at 1/3rd of the median's length, because the lengths of each rod can differ and hence their mass (Does this imply that the 1/3 shortcut does apply to every triangle formed by 3 equal-mass rods?). So please, if you answer, please differentiate b/w the situation of having three rods of the same mass and three rods of the same thickness.

Thanks again.

1. What is a centroid of a triangle?

A centroid is the point of intersection of the three medians of a triangle. A median is a line segment that connects a vertex of a triangle to the midpoint of the opposite side.

2. How is the centroid of a triangle calculated?

The coordinates of the centroid can be calculated by finding the average of the three vertices of the triangle. This can be done by adding the x coordinates and dividing by 3 to find the x-coordinate of the centroid, and then repeating the process for the y-coordinate.

3. What is the significance of the centroid in a triangle?

The centroid is known as the "center of mass" or "center of gravity" of a triangle. This means that if the triangle were cut out of a sheet of paper, the centroid is the point where the triangle could balance on the tip of a pencil. It also divides each median into a 2:1 ratio.

4. Can the centroid be located outside of the triangle?

No, the centroid will always be located inside the triangle. In fact, it is always located two-thirds of the distance from each vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side.

5. What is the relationship between a triangle's centroid and its area?

The centroid is also the center of the triangle's area. This means that if a triangle were cut out of a sheet of cardboard, the centroid would be the balancing point for the triangle when placed on a pin. Additionally, the area of the triangle can be calculated by multiplying the length of a median by the length of the opposite side and dividing by 3.