Electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle

In summary: Sometimes the answer is given in microvolts per meter rather than N/C for example, so make sure you read the question carefully.
Alexander2357

Homework Statement

3 rods each of length 1 meter form an equilateral triangle. Two rods have a uniform charge distribution of [tex]8\times 10^{-6}[/tex] C and the third of [tex]-8\times 10^{-6}[/tex] C. What is the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{8.99\times 10^{9} \times q}{r^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the magnitude of the electric field strength at the center due to only one of the rods.

I got the following integral:

[tex]\vec{E} = 2\times 8.99\times 10^{9}\int_{0}^{l}(\frac{y\lambda dx}{(x^{2}+y^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}})\widehat{\vec{y}} = \frac{2\times 8.99\times 10^{9}\lambda l}{y\sqrt{y^{2}+l^{2}}}\widehat{\vec{y}}[/tex]

After that I substituted the values given in the question and got:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{2\times 8.99\times 10^{9}\times 8\times 10^{-6}\times 0.5}{(\frac{0.5}{\sqrt{3}})\sqrt{(\frac{0.5}{\sqrt{3}})^{2}+(0.5)^{2}}} = 431520[/tex]

Since the horizontal components of the positively charged rods are equal but opposite, they cancel out so we have the following:

[tex]\vec{E} = (2\times 431520 \times sin(30))+(431520)) = 863040 N/C[/tex]

But this answer is wrong.

I have been trying to get this question done since yesterday and never got the right answer. Would very much appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexander2357 said:

Homework Statement

3 rods each of length 1 meter form an equilateral triangle. Two rods have a uniform charge distribution of [tex]8\times 10^{-6}[/tex] C and the third of [tex]-8\times 10^{-6}[/tex] C. What is the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{8.99\times 10^{9} \times q}{r^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the magnitude of the electric field strength at the center due to only one of the rods.

I got the following integral:

[tex]\vec{E} = 2\times 8.99\times 10^{9}\int_{0}^{l}(\frac{y\lambda dx}{(x^{2}+y^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}}})\widehat{\vec{y}} = \frac{2\times 8.99\times 10^{9}\lambda l}{y\sqrt{y^{2}+l^{2}}}\widehat{\vec{y}}[/tex]

After that I substituted the values given in the question and got:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{2\times 8.99\times 10^{9}\times 8\times 10^{-6}\times 0.5}{(\frac{0.5}{\sqrt{3}})\sqrt{(\frac{0.5}{\sqrt{3}})^{2}+(0.5)^{2}}} = 431520[/tex]

Since the horizontal components of the positively charged rods are equal but opposite, they cancel out so we have the following:

[tex]\vec{E} = (2\times 431520 \times sin(30))+(431520)) = 863040 N/C[/tex]

But this answer is wrong.

I have been trying to get this question done since yesterday and never got the right answer. Would very much appreciate your help.

Hi Alexander2357, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your solution method looks okay to me. If you are entering the results into an automated marking system perhaps you are getting "bitten" by the formatting? Make sure that your significant figures agree with those of your given values and constants.

Note:
Niggle: You are missing units of pretty much every result except the last one.

The strategy looks good.
I think you may have made some arithmetic errors.
You should do all the algebra before plugging the numbers in.
I think the equation ends up taking a particularly simple form.

If you check - the answer should be about the order of ##k\lambda## shouldn't it? (since y and l are order 10^0) Roughly 10^4? Yours is order 10^5.

The two positive rods provide field vectors with 120deg between them - you can get the resultant by the cosine rule. This resultant ends up in the same direction as the contribution from the negative rod.

Like gniell says, make sure the answer you submit fits the expected format.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle?

The formula for calculating the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle is E = kQ/(a^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the triangle, and a is the length of one side of the triangle.

2. How does the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle compare to that of a single point charge?

The electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle is the same as that of a single point charge with the same total charge as the triangle. This is because the electric field at any point due to a distribution of charges is equal to the vector sum of the electric fields due to individual charges.

3. What is the direction of the electric field at the center of an equilateral triangle?

The direction of the electric field at the center of an equilateral triangle is along the line joining the center of the triangle to the centroid of the triangle. This direction is perpendicular to any side of the triangle.

4. How does the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle change with distance?

The electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle decreases with distance from the center. This is because the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge.

5. Can the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle can be zero if the total charge of the triangle is zero. This means that the triangle is electrically neutral and there is no net electric field at the center.