Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ceramic can become a superconductor

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1
    "ceramic" can become a superconductor

State why some insulatores such "ceramic " can become a superconductor when cooled to a temprature of 0 K. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2
    They are not cooled to a temperature of 0 K , they are cooled to a temerature close to 0 K.

4. Jun 2, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

High-Temperature superconductors, such as Yttrium Barium Copper Oxide, can become superconducting at temperatures which are significantly higher than 0 K.

The BCS Theory explains superconductivity in Type I superconductors.
    "What causes high-temperature superconductivity?" is an open question in physics, isn't it?

5. Jun 2, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it is. Besides, the wording of the OP's question makes it sound like homework (and this isn't the first time either).

6. Jun 3, 2006 #5
    Superconducting is not synonymous of perfect conducting. Another phenomenological condition is Meissner effect, that isn't understood by thinkinking of a perfect conductivity. There are normal conductors without a superconductive behaviour. Nevertheless, lead is a low level conductor, but superconductor if cooled down.
    HTSC materials retain nowadays their peculiar "strangeness".

7. Jun 13, 2006 #6
    another interesting phenomena is the giant proximity effect that occurs when a superconducting material comes into contact with a normal conducting, My dissertation which has been posted on this forum was based on this phenomena Theoretical investigation into the proximity effect in high Tc Superconductors. I have to say it is perhaps one of the most interesting subject I have ever done in physics. I suppose a great break through in superconductivity would be if we can increase the coherence length of the proximity effect.

8. Jun 21, 2006 #7
    Well by definition, when certain elements are cooled down to a very low temperature often a few degrees above 0K which is charateristic to that particular element, show a remarkable property that they lose all trace of electrical resistance.

Also, one interesting general property of superconductors is that, materials which are good conductors at ordinary temperatures are not superconductors and superconducting materials are not good conductors at room temperatures.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?