Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There are a few threads in this forum about CFD, but I thought I'd establish one for a general discussion of CFD methods and applications and tie it in with others as appropriate.

In the December '07 issue of Aerospace America in the Aerospace Sciences section is a short article on the recent developments in various subfields of fluid dynamics. The first article is about CFD Methods and Applications.

BTW, I strongly recommend membership in AIAA!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2
    Hello! I am doing Master's in CFD coding in India. we are developing a C-based general purpose code that can solve various fluid and thermal problems. No LES though. We are only implementing the 2-eqn models .

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Its is hard now days to come up with an "in house" code that can beat the capabilities of FLUENT. C-based sub programs or User Defined Codes (UDF's) are probably a better choice, unless you work for SANDIA. I read the other day that even at SANDIA a lot of time (up to 75%) of skilled (high paid) professionals is being "wasted" in cleaning up CAD geometries and preparing them for meshing and analysis (even when transferred as STEP files). Now that FLUENT is owned by ANSYS this might change.

For myself in the field of gas turbine combustion it is still hard to get reliable results out of LES or full combustor modeling. Partly because the fundamental physics behind the combustion process is not fully understood (reaction rates, number of intermediate, etc).

Secondly, the required output of for instance NOx of less the 15 ppm for NG or <50 ppm for diesel can be within the uncertainty of the numerical analysis.

Last but not least is the fact that even a modest reaction model for methane (GRI 3.0) includes over 350 individual reactions and this combined with DNS makes problems too large for even the most powerful clusters.

I think numerical analysis should actually have its own place as a topic within physicforums since it is so broad and yet so dynamic that forums like these are ideal for fast change of ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?