CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics

In summary, various methods are being used to solve problems in CFD. There are some challenges with getting accurate results and the results are often uncertain.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
There are a few threads in this forum about CFD, but I thought I'd establish one for a general discussion of CFD methods and applications and tie it in with others as appropriate.

In the December '07 issue of Aerospace America in the Aerospace Sciences section is a short article on the recent developments in various subfields of fluid dynamics. The first article is about CFD Methods and Applications.

AIAA/Aerospace America - Aerospace Sciences said:
The application of hybrid Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS)/large-eddy simulation (LES) methods to aerodynamic flows continued to be an active area of research in the U.S. and abroad. Symposia held in London, England, and in Kerkyra, Greece, highlighted the successes and shortcomings of these techniques. In addition to the canonical separated-flow applications, the method is being used increasingly for wall-modeled LES and for zonal simulations.

Research continued in the development of techniques that improve the solution behavior at the interface between RANS and LES. Boeing and TTC Technologies independently improved and applied high-order-based hybrid RANS/LES procedures to accurately simulate the flow and fluctuating pressure fields required for jet noise prediction in a coupled nozzle/jet plume model.

BTW, I strongly recommend membership in AIAA!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello! I am doing Master's in CFD coding in India. we are developing a C-based general purpose code that can solve various fluid and thermal problems. No LES though. We are only implementing the 2-eqn models .

Its is hard now days to come up with an "in house" code that can beat the capabilities of FLUENT. C-based sub programs or User Defined Codes (UDF's) are probably a better choice, unless you work for SANDIA. I read the other day that even at SANDIA a lot of time (up to 75%) of skilled (high paid) professionals is being "wasted" in cleaning up CAD geometries and preparing them for meshing and analysis (even when transferred as STEP files). Now that FLUENT is owned by ANSYS this might change.

For myself in the field of gas turbine combustion it is still hard to get reliable results out of LES or full combustor modeling. Partly because the fundamental physics behind the combustion process is not fully understood (reaction rates, number of intermediate, etc).

Secondly, the required output of for instance NOx of less the 15 ppm for NG or <50 ppm for diesel can be within the uncertainty of the numerical analysis.

Last but not least is the fact that even a modest reaction model for methane (GRI 3.0) includes over 350 individual reactions and this combined with DNS makes problems too large for even the most powerful clusters.

I think numerical analysis should actually have its own place as a topic within physicforums since it is so broad and yet so dynamic that forums like these are ideal for fast change of ideas.

1. What is CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics?

CFD - Computational Fluid Dynamics is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems involving fluid flow and heat transfer. It is used to simulate and study the behavior of fluids in various physical and engineering systems.

2. What are the applications of CFD?

CFD has a wide range of applications in many industries, such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and environmental engineering. It can be used to study and optimize the design of aerodynamic components, combustion processes, heat exchangers, and many other systems involving fluid flow and heat transfer.

3. How does CFD differ from traditional fluid mechanics?

Traditional fluid mechanics is based on analytical or experimental methods, while CFD uses computational methods to solve the governing equations of fluid flow. This allows for more complex and realistic simulations of fluid behavior in various systems.

4. What are the steps involved in a CFD simulation?

The main steps in a CFD simulation include problem definition, geometry creation, meshing, selection of numerical methods, solution of the governing equations, and post-processing of the results. Each step requires careful consideration and expertise to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. What are the benefits of using CFD?

CFD offers many benefits, such as reducing the need for expensive and time-consuming physical experiments, providing detailed insights into fluid behavior, and allowing for optimization and design improvement of systems. It also has the potential to save costs and time in the development process of various engineering products.