1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule for Functions of Two Variables Partial Differentiation Question

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let x=ts^2 -1 and y=ln(s)-t

Use the chain rule for functions of two variables to determine ∂f/∂t at (s,t)=(1,1)

3. The attempt at a solution

y=ln(s)-t

∂f/∂t= ∂f/∂s X ∂s/∂t -1

t=x+1/s^2

∂t/∂s= -2(x+1)/s^3

∂s/∂t=s^3/-2(x+1)

∴ ∂f/∂t= s^2/-2(x+1) -1

= ∂f/∂t= s^2/-2(ts^2) -1

∂f/∂t (1,1) = 1/-2 +1

=0.5

However, the answer is 1 and I have spent two hours trying to work out why I am wrong. All help will be met with great appreciation. Thanks <3

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is f? Are we to assume that f is some differentiable function of x and y?

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(2st)+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{1}{s}[/tex]
    At (s, t)= (1, 1), that would be
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}(1, 1)= 2\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

I have no clue where this is coming from. Before, x and y were functions of s and t. Now t is a function of x and s? Is this a different problem?

Given f a function of x and y and [itex]x=ts^2 -1[/itex] and [itex]y=ln(s)-t[/itex] as before
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}= s^2\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]
    At (s, t)= (1, 1) that is
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

It's impossible to give specific numbers, as you seem to have, because you have not given f as a function of x and y.

4. May 26, 2012 #3
    Hi, I'll upload the link to the question. I highly doubt here is an error in the actual question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook