Chain rule in partial derivative

In summary, the theorem states that if x, y, z are differentiable at t_{0}, and if w is differentiable at the point (x,y,z)=(x(t),y(t),z(t)), then w is differentiable at t.
bigwuying
There is a theorem in partial derivative
If x= x(t) , y= y(t), z= z(t) are differentiable at [tex]t_{0}[/tex], and if w= f(x,y,z) is differentiable at the point (x,y,z)=(x(t),y(t),z(t)),then w=f(x(t),y(t),z(t)) is differentiable at t and
[tex]\frac{dw}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]
where the ordinary derivatives are evaluated at t and the partial derivatives are evaluated at (x,y,z)

My question are
1. What is the difference between dx and[tex]\partial x[/tex]?
2. i don't know why i am not allowed to eliminate the dx and [tex]\partial x[/tex],also the same for y and z to get 3[tex]\frac{\partial w}{dt}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem appears to be that you do not understand the derivative itself. Neither "[itex]\partial x[/itex]" nor "dx" have any meaning alone. And, when using the "ordinary" chain rule- (df/dx)(dx/dy)= df/dy- you are NOT "canceling" the "dx"s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are right. i only know how to use chain rule, but i don't know what it is actually.
When i start to learn Partial Derivative, i find it difficult to understand why dw/dt appear 3 term, and why do dx and dx not be eliminate.

To understand this problem ,i have read my text and start confusing

The definition of partial d of z with repect to x at [tex]x_{0},y_{0}[/tex] is
[tex]f_{x}(x_{0},y_{0})=lim_{x->x0}\frac{f(x,y0)-f(x0-y0)}{x-x0}= \frac {\partialf}{\partialx}[/tex]

Consider a part of the chain rule, let say : dw/dt= [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

it is equivalent to [tex]\left[lim_{x->x0}\frac{f(x,y0,z0)-f(x0,y0,z0)}{x-x0}\right][/tex] [tex]\left[lim_{t->t0}\frac{x(t)-x(t0)}{t-t0}\right][/tex]

[tex]lim_{x->x0} x-x_{0}[/tex] isn't the same as [tex] lim_{t->t_{0}} x(t)-x(t_{0})[/tex] ??
So i get confusing why i can't eliminate them. or i cannot treat them as a fraction??

Last edited:

What is the chain rule in partial derivative?

The chain rule in partial derivative is a mathematical rule that helps to find the derivative of a function with multiple variables. It is used when a function is composed of several other functions, and it allows us to calculate the derivative of the outer function by using the derivatives of the inner functions.

How is the chain rule applied in partial derivatives?

The chain rule is applied by first finding the derivative of the outer function with respect to its variables. Then, for each variable, we multiply the derivative of the outer function with the derivative of the inner function with respect to that variable. Finally, we add all these terms together to get the final derivative.

Why is the chain rule important in partial derivatives?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of other functions. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is essential in solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some real-life applications of the chain rule in partial derivatives?

The chain rule has many real-life applications, such as in physics, where it is used to calculate the rate of change of a quantity with respect to another quantity, such as velocity with respect to time. It is also used in economics to find the marginal rate of substitution between two goods.

Are there any common mistakes made when using the chain rule in partial derivatives?

Yes, one common mistake is not taking the derivative of the inner function correctly. Another mistake is not considering the chain rule when there are multiple variables in the function. It is also important to remember to use the product rule when there are more than two functions multiplied together in the composite function.