Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule in partial derivative

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    There is a theorem in partial derivative
    If x= x(t) , y= y(t), z= z(t) are differentiable at [tex]t_{0}[/tex], and if w= f(x,y,z) is differentiable at the point (x,y,z)=(x(t),y(t),z(t)),then w=f(x(t),y(t),z(t)) is differentiable at t and
    [tex]\frac{dw}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]
    where the ordinary derivatives are evaluated at t and the partial derivatives are evaluated at (x,y,z)

My question are
    1. What is the difference between dx and[tex]\partial x[/tex]?
    2. i don't know why i am not allowed to eliminate the dx and [tex]\partial x[/tex],also the same for y and z to get 3[tex]\frac{\partial w}{dt}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem appears to be that you do not understand the derivative itself. Neither "[itex]\partial x[/itex]" nor "dx" have any meaning alone. And, when using the "ordinary" chain rule- (df/dx)(dx/dy)= df/dy- you are NOT "canceling" the "dx"s.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    Yes, you are right. i only know how to use chain rule, but i don't know what it is actually.
    When i start to learn Partial Derivative, i find it difficult to understand why dw/dt appear 3 term, and why do dx and dx not be eliminate.

To understand this problem ,i have read my text and start confusing

The definition of partial d of z with repect to x at [tex]x_{0},y_{0}[/tex] is
    [tex]f_{x}(x_{0},y_{0})=lim_{x->x0}\frac{f(x,y0)-f(x0-y0)}{x-x0}= \frac {\partialf}{\partialx}[/tex]

Consider a part of the chain rule, let say : dw/dt= [tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

it is equivalent to [tex]\left[lim_{x->x0}\frac{f(x,y0,z0)-f(x0,y0,z0)}{x-x0}\right][/tex] [tex]\left[lim_{t->t0}\frac{x(t)-x(t0)}{t-t0}\right][/tex]

[tex]lim_{x->x0} x-x_{0}[/tex] isn't the same as [tex] lim_{t->t_{0}} x(t)-x(t_{0})[/tex] ??
    So i get confusing why i can't eliminate them. or i cannot treat them as a fraction??

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook