Chain-rule issue on Laplacian equation

• Thread starter NinjaPeanut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
Therefore, the potential function ψ(r,θ) = -crαsin(αθ) satisfies Laplace's equation, Δψ = 0.In summary, the potential function ψ(r,θ) = -crαsin(αθ) satisfies Laplace's equation, Δψ = 0, for the flow of a fluid past a wedge, where c and α are constants and (r,θ) are cylindrical coordinates of a point in the fluid. The Laplacian operator Δ is used to verify this function. The correct formula for the Laplacian in polar coordinates is Δ2ψ = r-1δ/δr(r*δψ/δr) + r-2
NinjaPeanut

Homework Statement

"The flow of a fluid past a wedge is described by the potential

ψ(r,θ) = -crαsin(αθ),

where c and α are constants, and (r,θ) are the cylindrical coordinates of a point in the fluid (the potential is independent of z). Verify that this function satisfies Laplace's equation, Δψ = 0."

Homework Equations

Δ is the Laplacian operator

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proved the statement, but I feel like I had to fudge the Chain Rule in order for it to work out. I have that δ/δr(ψ) = -αcrαsinαθ but I think that since α is some constant I ought to have δ/δr(ψ) = -αcr(α-1)sinαθ, and the second partial derivative would yield -α(α-1)cr(α-2)sinαθ. If done this way, the terms will not cancel and I cannot conclude the Laplacian is equal to zero.

Why doesn't the power of α change if it's a constant? I thought that d/dx(xn) = nx(n-1), so why does that not seem to apply in this case?

Thanks for any insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
NinjaPeanut said:

Homework Statement

"The flow of a fluid past a wedge is described by the potential

ψ(r,θ) = -crαsin(αθ),

where c and α are constants, and (r,θ) are the cylindrical coordinates of a point in the fluid (the potential is independent of z). Verify that this function satisfies Laplace's equation, Δψ = 0."

Homework Equations

Δ is the Laplacian operator

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proved the statement, but I feel like I had to fudge the Chain Rule in order for it to work out. I have that δ/δr(ψ) = -αcrαsinαθ but I think that since α is some constant I ought to have δ/δr(ψ) = -αcr(α-1)sinαθ, and the second partial derivative would yield -α(α-1)cr(α-2)sinαθ. If done this way, the terms will not cancel and I cannot conclude the Laplacian is equal to zero.

Why doesn't the power of α change if it's a constant? I thought that d/dx(xn) = nx(n-1), so why does that not seem to apply in this case?

Thanks for any insight.

I don't think you are using the correct form for the laplacian in polar coordinates. Can you show what form you are using and your work in full? There shouldn't be any need to 'cheat' the chain rule.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, it was spot on! The correct formula for the Laplacian in polar coordinates is
Δ2ψ = r-1δ/δr(r*δψ/δr) + r-22ψ/δθ2)
Plugging in, we have:
r-1δ/δr[-r*cαr(α-1)sin(αθ)] + r-2[cα2rαsin(αθ)]
Differentiating the first term and simplifying, we have
-cαr(α-2)sin(αθ) - cα2r(α-2)sin(αθ) + cαr(α-2)sin(αθ) + cα2r(α-2)sin(αθ) = 0

1. What is the chain rule issue on Laplacian equation?

The chain rule issue on Laplacian equation refers to the difficulty in finding the derivative of a function that is composed of multiple functions, where each function is dependent on the other. This is because the Laplacian operator, ∆, is not commutative, meaning the order of operations matters when taking the derivative.

2. How does the chain rule affect the solution of the Laplacian equation?

The chain rule affects the solution of the Laplacian equation by complicating the process of finding the derivative, as mentioned earlier. This can lead to errors and inaccuracies in the solution if not taken into account properly.

3. Can the chain rule be avoided when dealing with the Laplacian equation?

No, the chain rule cannot be avoided when dealing with the Laplacian equation. This is because the Laplacian operator is an essential part of the equation and cannot be removed or bypassed.

4. How can the chain rule be applied to the Laplacian equation?

The chain rule can be applied to the Laplacian equation by breaking down the function into smaller, simpler functions and taking the derivatives separately. Then, the derivatives can be put back together using the chain rule to find the overall derivative of the function.

5. Are there any strategies for dealing with the chain rule issue on Laplacian equation?

Yes, there are strategies that can help with dealing with the chain rule issue on Laplacian equation. These include breaking down the function into simpler functions, using software or tools that can handle the chain rule automatically, and practicing and familiarizing oneself with the concept to better understand how to approach it.